Desktop icons not equal on left of screen compared to right of screen

Reaction score
My desktop settings are as such:
View --> Small icons, align icons to grid, show desktop icons
I have 2 rows of icons (shortcuts and stuff) on the left
and 2 rows of icons on the right.
The ones on the left are perfect, the ones closest to the edge, have about 1/4 inch of space to the edge of the screen
However, the ones on the right have about an inch and I can't place them closer unless I do all manually, which I don't want to do since they will all be crooked, not does the option seem to exist.
I would like the right side to 'kiss' the edge as they do on the left. Is this possible or not? If not, why pls? Thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was going to try to figure it out by taking your screen width and seeing what multiple of icon spacing fits the best but I think it would probably be easier if you just increase the icon spacing by one, save, align by grid, increase by 1 more & align again until you find one you like.

Too change the icon spacing: control panel > personalization (or right-click on the desktop & select personalize), along the bottom select "window color", then select "advanced appearance settings", click on the down-carat on the Item box, choose Icon Spacing (Horizontal). That is where you can add or subtract from the spacing which will affect the grid breaks all the way across the desktop.

Reaction score
The resolution I am using is the recommended default of my VGA card which is 1920 X 1080.
As to icon spacing, no, that doesn't work since doing so works across the board--affects all icons from all 4 sides. My problem is strictly the spacing on the right hand side. Just so to understand more clearly I have added a screen shot (I chopped off the center of the image so that it can be viewed better) Oh, and if you were to change icon spacing the
Capture.JPG
space between one row/column and the next get effected too, viewing less writing which is also not what I want to do.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
But what you don't seem to understand is that the icon spacing horizontal IS how your grid is divided up. So yes, it will affect them all but in order to get closer to the right you need to adjust it. When you divide 1920 by icon spacing (horizontal), the closer the remainder is to 0 the closer your last grid will be to the right edge.

Reaction score
You can actually place them where you want by pressing the shift key and then dragging the icons to exactly the place you want, even when you have "align to grid" checked. . Another useful freeware utility is "deskinst.msi" You can restore the icons to the exact location as was saved. This is especially useful in my kind of situation . I have 4 PCs connected through a KVM switch. If I boot a machine which is not currently the active one the icons location defaults to what windows determines. Simply restoring the desktop solves the problem of icon locations.

Reaction score
But what you don't seem to understand is that the icon spacing horizontal IS how your grid is divided up. So yes, it will affect them all but in order to get closer to the right you need to adjust it. When you divide 1920 by icon spacing (horizontal), the closer the remainder is to 0 the closer your last grid will be to the right edge.
You made me smile with your comment :) When 2 people communicate the possibility of miscomunication (or misunderstanding) can come from either or both parties. For ex. I could perfectly explain myself in Chinese but if you don't speak the language then the fault is not mine that I couldn't communicate or express myself properly but yours for not understanding Chinese--or the other way around of course. So, you said something and I did not understand. Was it me who did not understand or was it you who explained it in a way that I could not understand? Or vice versa, of course. :) And in this case I blame myself more than I do you (actually I don't blame you at all) So let me now make myself clearer (I hope) Yes, I was aware that you are 100% right in that in such a case as you described it would get closer to the right, but in doing so it also seemed to affect how many words you can read below the icon. So even though, doing as you nicely suggested, does work, it also affects the amount of legible letters of the text below. I wanted one without affecting the other. But perhaps this is a case of not being able to have your cake and eat it too. Thanks buddy, BTW, for insisting. You could have given up but you didn't. :)

Ask a Question