SOLVED Icons are half hidden by paper

Reaction score
There are a few icons that appear to have the windows unknown paper covering half of the icon. I have tried deleting and remaking shortcuts, but they always appear half covered. Every shortcut that does not have the "show on desktop" option is like this. Any tips on how to set this right? Thanks.

Reaction score
I have tried the program Icon Cache Rebuilder and also tried to manually delete the iconcache.db file and restart. Unfortunately neither of these worked. Anything else I could try? Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like the shortcut overlay may be damaged (the little arrow indicating it is a shortcut) or the icon selected (normally 29) has been changed. The overlays are stored in C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll.

I might try putting in the W7 DVD and running a system repair to repair shell32.dll if it is damaged.

If that didn't work I would try the Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover (also works on W7) or the registry tweak explained HERE.

NOTE: Be sure to backup your registry before making changes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes the shortcuts all work properly. The problem was indeed with the shortcut arrow file being damaged or missing. I used the vista shortcut manager in the above link and that cleared it all up! The shortcut arrows are a bit different however, but now with the shortcut manager I guess I could change the arrow to look like anything I want! Thank you for your help!

Ask a Question