hp laptop wont boot up

Reaction score
hi i got a hp pavilion entertainment laptop with windows 7 my nephews he couldn't get online so i gave it a go tryed everything with network spent about 3 hours going around in circles eventually i got into the bios played about in there wasnt to sure so i saved and exit it came on strait after so this morning i did windows updates loaded advance system care 6 ran it took 67 corrupt files got 70 out of 84 windows updates loaded drivers then bang went again this time cant do anything i can got safe mode tried different modes nothing in the bios same f2 did some hd scans same the spyware was something smoke be so messed up with it i forgot i have to take the battery out to re boot or try anyway :confused:
model dv6-2010sa product key w2ht8-8q9xg-4jytf-66cmd-62qy6 pavilion dv6 regards gerry

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is the spyware you tried called whitesmoke? Whitesmoke includes a toolbar which is considered malicious/virus/keylogger.

As for rebooting, you shouldn't have to take the battery out, you should just be able to hold the power button 6 seconds.

I checked on Advanced System Care 6 and that appears to be legit but I stick to products I've known and used for years like ccleaner & spybot search & destroy (See our Freeware DB for links). But anyway, if Advanced system care is legit and actually found 67 corrupt files then I would worry the hard drive may be going bad and I suggest you scan it for bad sectors (there is an extra checkbox on the scandisk options for a more thorough scan).

Now as for Windows Updates ... by default windows includes "recommended updates" with critical updates. the problem is that recommended updates can include driver updates from the manufacturers and they may not always be right for your computer. I would say over 99% of the time they are correct but for those few where it isn't it can be very scarey and confusing. It's possible you got one of those driver updates and it messed things up. (It's also possible the hard drive is messed up as mentioned in the paragraph above).

I always recommend you disable "get recommended the same as critical" and then you take the responsibility to manually run Windows Update every month or so and check for "recommended".
WinUpdateSettings.jpg
If you see some driver updates in the list then create a restore point and install them one at a time, rebooting and recreating another restore point after each one. If your computer fails to restart after a driver update then use F8 to enter safe mode and run system restore to the last restore point. then reboot and go to Windows Updates and right-click on the bad driver and choose "hide update".
WinUpdt-HideOptions.jpg

As for the networking, does it have a network connection after a fresh reboot but then looses it after it goes to sleep? The reason I ask is that it is a common problem related to allowing the network adapter sleep. I suggest you try "not allowing" your network adapter to sleep by going to control panel > device manager and locating your Network NIC, double click to open the properties, and choose the power options where you can disable sleep.
DeviceManager-NoSleep4NIC.jpg .

As for what would I do in your current situation. I would probably try a restore point to a previous time before you ran whitesmoke. Then boot up and check the browser(s) to make sure they have no whitesmoke toolbar, if so uninstall it/them. Next run a complete virus scan. Make sure the Network NIC is set to not sleep. Run the thorough Hard Drive scan (if it finds many bad sectors then it's time to replace the hard drive). Then make sure that "treat recommended the same as critical" is not checked and install just the critical windows updates. Close all browsers and run spybot search and destroy immunize (third tab on the Spybot SD menu). Finally I would run Spybot Search and Destroy (the first tab) ... I always run this last as I am heading off to bed because it will run a couple hours.

Reaction score
hi i do all that on my own pc as i said this is my nephews LT at the mo i only get the screen with the flag on i get into safe mode try installing last known cofig it loads half the drivers an stops tried all the others one at a time but same tried the bios just not having it i made a system repair disc off my own pc it wont run at startup when i got on yesterday i went into defaults and put cd in the drive to run when its put in drive [i used search & destroy about 10 years ago & had an e-bom put me right off i have use advance for about 2 years not expensive for a full version with AV it does everything you need] anyway this is as far as i get ???:(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You could try a complete reinstall.

All programs would be lost and have to be reinstalled. If possible back up the data or it will be lost as well. Be sure to write down the W7 product key then format the HD and reinstall. If you do not have a W7 Installation Disk you can use another computer to burn one to a blank DVD (be sure to get the same version or the product key won't work). W7 SP1 Installation DVD links.

No anti-malware is perfect and some things will get past, especially if the product is not kept up-to-date but smart browsing habits and layers of protection help. I use a good anti-virus software as my active scanner, I have Malwarebytes as a passive secondary which I run manually, I use Spybot S&D immunize & Hostsmanager MVPS Hosts to maintain a strong hosts file, and I use Ad blocker plus and NoScript in my browser.

Ask a Question