Screen wont turn off when I close laptop lid

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recentley installed Windows 7 RC. Since installing it, I have noticed that when I close my laptop lid, the screen stays on. How do I get the screen to turn off without going into sleep or hibernate mode? I've tried messing around with the power options but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hello p4r45 welcome to the site :ciao:

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update or more recent drivers to install. Which notebook do you have and we will help you look. There is also a Windows 7 Power Setting when you close the lid for what you want windows to do.

The only other thing I can think of would be a faulty switch which would need to be replaced to work correctly.

Reaction score
Hi Clifford, thanks for your reply and welcome!

I dont think its a faulty switch as it was working fine yesterday under Windows XP.

My graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 and my notebook is a Dell Inspiron 6400. I downloaded the Windows 7 drivers for it after installing Windows 7 RC yesterday,

Under the power options, it only gives the options to sleep, hibernate, turn off or do nothing when I close the lid. At the moment that is set to 'do nothing'. I dont want it to shut down, hibernate or sleep as sometimes I leave my laptop on downloading or running tasks. With Windows XP, when this was set to 'do nothing', the screen would still turn off.

I've seen a number of users having the same issue as me on other forums but nobody has yet been able to solve it! :(

Reaction score
Ahh, So you are looking for your screen to black out only when you close the lid.
If there is not a screen saver option for when you close the lid then Im out of ideas maybe someone else can help you further.

Reaction score
Figured it out!

In the power options, go to Change Plan Settings and theres an option to 'Turn off the display' after a certain amount of minutes! Dont know how I missed this the first time! Hope this helps anybody else with the same issue!

Reaction score
Figured it out!

In the power options, go to Change Plan Settings and theres an option to 'Turn off the display' after a certain amount of minutes! Dont know how I missed this the first time! Hope this helps anybody else with the same issue!

Have you solved the problem? I want the screen to turn off immediately I close the lid, I don't want to wait X minutes :)

Reaction score
I havent managed to make it turn off as soon as I close the lid. I would still like this to happen so if you figure it out, please let me know! cheers

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if Dell has Windows 7 drivers for your model laptop? I know that Dell offers power management drivers that include power settings to turn off the display when closing the lid. If they do not have Windows 7 then you might try using Vista's, but that may not work.

Reaction score
Spot on mate! Thank you so much! I upgraded my graphics card with the Vista drivers from the Dell website. The screen now goes black as soon as I close the lid. Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Mine problem not solved

Oh God! How u did that? Even though I tried to update the latest graphich card it doesn't work..getting frustrated.. T.T

Reaction score
It worked on Windows 7 RC but since installing the Windows 7 full version, Im having the problem again! :(

Ask a Question