How to open photo files after a full factory reset ?

Reaction score
Hello,
I did a full factory reset about 2 weeks ago. I then used Recuva and was able to recover some photos. I have about 100+ photos which I am unable to open. I get the following message: "Photo Gallery can't open this photo. The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted."
Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get these files opened, if it's possible ?
Thank you,
Turquoise gem

Shintaro

Reaction score
They very well could be damaged or corrupted.
Are they all the same type? gif / jpg / tiff?? For example photo.gif
Are you able to post one?

Reaction score
230+ are .jpg
thank you for suggestions/help
I tried to attach photo, but I was unsuccessful; I received following messages: "The following error occurred: the uploaded file was not an image as expected or uploaded file is too large".
I tried to email you but emails bounced w/the message "delivery failed; mailbox is not available on this system." The files did attach although they did not open
Thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try File Repair on the corrupt JPGs. I've never used it myself but it is recommended by the WindowsClub so I think it may be worth a shot. I would be interested to hear from you if it helps.

The truth is when you did a factory restore it could have easily overwritten pieces/parts of your photos so it likely depends how much data is lost from each picture as to what, if anything, can be salvaged of the files Recuva couldn't locate completely.

Reaction score
Thank you
I will try File Repair and let you know
(I recovered about 280 photos plus about 200+ won't open up)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately your data should have been extracted prior to the factory restore. There is a System Restore option built in to W7 that is not destructive to data and might have helped, depending on what was wrong that caused you to restore, but factory restore cares nothing about what is already on the drive. I also recommend maintaining an external hard drive or large flash drive and making periodic back-ups of your data. Obviously none of these things can help the current situation but they are something to keep in mind going forward.

Another idea for the current issue, you might connect your cameras memory card and see if any can be recovered from there; you might rescue a few more that way.

Ask a Question