How do I find out all the processes and programs that open this file

SOLVED Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erez, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Erez

Erez

Hello Windows Seven Forums

Sometimes when I am trying to rename or move some file or folder, I get this message:

Title: "File/Folder In Use"

And Message: "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"

What program? What it is? Who it is? What it's name?, i.e. it's window title, if it has or process name? What it's process id? I want to get more information and details about the "another program" that opens this file/folder, so I will know how to terminate it, because it's really important for me to rename and move some folders and files right now. Is there an application that can give me this information I am seeking?

Thanks in advance and Best regards

Erez, Mar 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Erez

ChromeKitty

I have ever met this problem before. Such as I want to rename a video file while I'm watching it on a video player. Then the computer will say that "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program" just as you show in your question. So I just close the video player and then I can rename the video file. But sometimes I don't know which program is taking up the file I want to rename, I just close all programs. I know this is fool, but I have no idea. Hope someone could help us.:)Thanks a lot.

ChromeKitty, Mar 29, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Erez

Erez

Even though this is not answer to my question, I like your reply very much. Now I know that I am not the only guy on earth that complains about this problem. :)

Erez, Mar 29, 2017
  4. Erez

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

When I first read your post I did not understand what you meant. Now I believe you just want to know what program currently has hold of it.

Install Unlocker then RIGHT-click on the file in Windows Explorer & select UNLOCKER from the context menu. If a locking handle is found it will tell you the program.

Get Unlocker from our Freeware DB

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    TrainableMan, Mar 30, 2017
  5. Erez

Erez

Sorry that my post was unclear. I must to learn how better to express myself.

Don't worry about me, I am used to always ignore these links, but thanks for the warning anyway. From my experience, I already know that these links really bring you a lot of trash for your PC!

Thanks for suggesting me to use UNLOCKER! I hope this program is really what I am looking for.

Erez, Mar 31, 2017
  6. Erez

John700

There's tools like ProcessExplorer and such ( Sysinternals in the past, Microsoft now) which can tell which process is using a given file

John700, Jun 18, 2017
  7. Erez

Erez

Thank you john700. Good to hear. Now I know that both Unlocker and ProcessExplorer can tell me the process that is using the file or folder. In general it's always good to know about more programs and applications that can help you to achieve the same goal. This gives you more options to try out and this is always good to have as more options as possible, because If one fails then you already know that there is another one to try out.

Erez, Jun 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements