How to install ATI AGP Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Instructions for installing ATI HD 2400 PRO AGP, ATI HD 3850 AGP, ATI HD 3650 AGP, ATI HD 3450 AGP, ATI HD 4650 AGP, ATI HD 2600 PRO AGP

ALL MODELS x86 32-bit WDDM 1.1:

1) Download the Catalyst 9.11 32-bit driver Suite for Windows 7 from here - Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM - Click on
ATI Radeon™ Video Card Drivers

2) Extract the driver folder by running the .exe you downloaded. It will extract to C:\ATI

3) Close installer after extraction. No longer necessary. Do not continue with install here.

4) Download my attachment (CL_91526.zip) and extract the .inf file from it. Save to desktop or anywhere you want.

5) Copy and paste the CL_91526.inf you just extracted directly overwriting the original at this location - C:\ATI\Support\9-11_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF

6) Go to device manager and right click on your video card. (Standard VGA or otherwise.) Update driver software, browse my computer, let me pick, have disk, browse.

7) Navigate to C:\ATI\Support\9-11_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF

8) Click (or double click) on the CL_91526.inf

9) Click ok, then click next and let it install. If it complains that it is not signed, click the part to let it install anyway.

10) Reboot if necessary. Pick an Aero theme by right clicking on desktop, Personalize. (If you previously had a working driver from ATI's site installed, you may skip this step.)

11) Run setup.exe in C:\ATI\Support\9-11_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\
and let it complete to install the CCC, should you want the functionality. Custom mode is best used here instead of express mode, when it asks.

12) Install ATI Tray Tools if you wish to overclock. Ensure adequate cooling. Disclaimer - Should you choose to overclock, responsibility falls entirely on you.

13) Update your WEI score. Start menu | right click Computer | Properties | click Windows Experience Index

If you have a different AGP card, let me know. I will make you a custom .inf.
Enjoy.

Attachments

Reaction score
Ya, but doesn't work, freezes near end of installation and I end up with an incomplete Catalyst Control Center that I can't use or uninstall.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
The screen shot you posted in the other tread shows your GPU is working, i would concentrate on getting Windows 7 fully functioning with all updates installed (use CCleaner to get rid of the rubbish) then defrag your HDD ... when all is well then start working on CCC etc ;)

Reaction score
I've got a HIS HD 2600XT AGP, tried hundrets of drivers from www.hisdigital.com and original ati drivers always getting the message "Dieses Gerät wurde angehalten, weil es Fehler gemeldet hat. (Code 43)" (Dont know how it's said in english, sry) After booting there is a message that the drivers would not be the right ones, also when i install the (very old) original drivers from the original cd of the graphic card. (vista drivers, 7 not included)

Reaction score
I had this too when I first tried a freshly installed W7 with my HD 3650 AGP (which identifies as "VisionTek HD 2600 XT AGP" when using the hotfix drivers).

You can get a "recommended" (but not "important", so it's not installed automatically) update for W7 from Microsoft: SiS AGP driver. After installing that, it worked for me.

BTW, it's not good form to resurrect threads that are half a year dead, or hijack them for unrelated problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all !
I have ati radeon hd 4650 agp, and i tried more methods, inclusive yours.
Finaly i have driver instaled,but..... :)
I have a week I try to install it.
On xp worked, but Vista or seven not.

Reaction score
This thread is the old skool way to do it (which still works lovely btw, but has become unnecessary.)

All you need to do is install the AGP hotfix driver which is available usually one or two days later than the normal Suite package. It's always found at the bottom after you click the video card drivers section:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

(Site is currently down. Check later.)

Anything else or further problems, please let me know.

-----------

Your particular error 43 is quite nasty. It means the card itself can not communicate with the motherboard for a few reasons which could be:

1) nForce chipset of 3 or below which remains unsupported by NVIDIA. In this case, they basically say "tough luck go back to XP."

2) The motherboard may need a bios update. In this case, apply the latest bios and disable all unused ports within it such as serial, parallel, floppy etc...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will try and update bios.
If not, I can only buy a PCI video card.
Too bad I bought it recently.
However, the motherboard is ASRock ALiveDual-eSATA2.

Thanks for your promptness.

Reaction score
The bad news: Your motherboard uses the nForce3 chipset, which means the AGP card will not work in Vista nor 7.

The good news: Your motherboard also has a PCI-e (which is different than normal PCI and much better for video card) slot - which means that you can install any of the latest and greatest video cards in it. All you'd have to do is make sure your power supply has enough power output to handle it and that it has the proper connections available. If needed, you can get crafty and "make" the proper connections.

If you need any help or advice, please let us know.

Reaction score
I am very sad because I built this PC piece by piece recently.
And now I know I bought a piece that is not useful.
Anyway I was not happy with the AGP's performance

And this is my system. without radeon course. :)

Thank you !

Reaction score
That card is a good card when installed in a motherboard/OS combo that can handle it (like for you with your motherboard and XP).

Contact the retailer that you bought the video card from and explain truthfully your situation. Tell them you'd like to return the AGP in exchange for a PCI-e card. You might have to pay slightly more or they might have a comparable card to switch for no money at all.

The only thing they can tell you is no.

I don't suggest being dishonest, but you can simply tell them that the card does not work for you. You discovered that you also have a PCI-e slot...."Can I please make a switch for a PCI-e?"....

That's how I'd do...

Good luck and you're welcome.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If needed, you can get crafty and "make" the proper connections.
There are several adapters available that convert 4-pin Molex connections to 6-pin or 8-pin video card connections.

Reaction score
Hi, it's me again.
I sat and I thought, why go on XP, and Windows 7 is not working?
Because the motherboard is the same.

I do not believe that the motherboard is to blame, probably Microsoft or ATI.
Do not you think so?

Reaction score
I already told you who is to blame and what I think so. That is NVIDIA because they no longer support your old chipset nor have they ever made an AGP driver for it that would work for Vista or 7.

Do you think I make this stuff up?

Reaction score
This is the page for your motherboard:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Alivedual-esata2

On it, is this:

"*If you plan to install Windows® XP 64-bit / Vista™ 32-bit / Vista™ 64-bit OS on this motherboard, please click here to read instructions and limitation carefully. For Windows® 2000 / XP OS, there is no such limitation."

When you click the link, it tells you this:

"
C. ATi™AGP Card (Windows® XP 64-bit / Vista™ 32-bit / Vista™ 64-bit):
Under Windows® Vista™ 32-bit / Vista™ 64-bit OS, this motherboard does not support ATi™ AGP card because NVIDIA® does not provide nForce3 250 relevant driver for Windows® Vista™ OS.
* AGP texture acceleration will be disable under Windows XP 64-bit OS."

Reaction score
Okay. I did not want to upset anybody, I probably rushed me, being upset myself.
Even I'm sorry.
I'll take another video card and the next PC which I will build, I will document before.
Cheers!

Reaction score
No, no... :)

It didn't upset me. lol

It's just that for years I've been telling people about this and constantly I've been questioned on it by people thinking I'm wrong - or in some actual cases - they thought I was making it up to appear like I knew because I couldn't fix the issue.

Tell the retailer. They will probably exchange for a PCI-e card and you'll be much better off anyhow. It would be worth a few extra dollars to get a PCI-e card in NVIDIA's Fermi line or ATI's HD 5xxx line since they both would have full DirectX 11 capabilities.

Reaction score
Thanks

No, no... :)

It didn't upset me. lol

It's just that for years I've been telling people about this and constantly I've been questioned on it by people thinking I'm wrong - or in some actual cases - they thought I was making it up to appear like I knew because I couldn't fix the issue.

Tell the retailer. They will probably exchange for a PCI-e card and you'll be much better off anyhow. It would be worth a few extra dollars to get a PCI-e card in NVIDIA's Fermi line or ATI's HD 5xxx line since they both would have full DirectX 11 capabilities.
Being slow to leap to Win7, I wanted to thank you for your detailed info. I am amazed at number of "experts" publishing that just leap forward assuming their readers are fully tech competent.

But I need to pick your brain. Using WinXp for years my ATI Wonder 9600 AGP card has suited me perfectly. However, it's a legacy card and using it my cursor freezes and windows 7 has to "recover" from driver fail. I am running dual boot right now, but want to migrate fully away from XP sometime. Would appreciate thoughts about an AGP card to move to. My MoBo does NOT have a PCI-e slot and I am not in position to change MoBo.

If this is not right forum to ask, please point me in correct direction.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question