How to install ATI AGP Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi C4791p. It's all in the details.

Which motherboard do you have and how many watts is your power supply rated at?

It is actually possible that your issue is unrelated to the above. It's also possible too.

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but you seem the guys to talk to.

I'm trying to get an Asus HD3450 256MB AGP Low profile to work on a HP D530 SFF Desktop. With 1GB off ram running windows xp pro

I know the PSU is probably not strong enough to run this card (only 185W instead of the recommended 250). But works in 2D with the standard vga driver that comes with windows. After installing ati agp hotfix drivers, or the asus drivers or any other driver I found on the net. When the pc reboots. After the windows boot screen it shows some artifacts on the screen and then a blank screen and a loss of signal.

From what I could find on google it seems the ati drivers can't read the EDID that's in monitors properly and sets a really high refreshrate that most lcd monitors can't handle. Hence the artifacts and the signal cut out.

I've tried all the suggested sollutions I could google but none of them work. I tried:
- Different monitors(no CRT, because I don't have one) and a TV.
- Different, ports connectors and cables.
- Different install technics: command line install, wdm driver only install etc.
- Reprogramming the EDID of my monitor.

Is it possible to make an inf file that sets a low resolution (800x600) and refreshrate(30?) as default for after rebooting?

I hope someone can help an make my nephew happy :)

Reaction score
Wikipedia - Refresh rate
Computer displays

On smaller CRT monitors (up to about 15"), few people notice any discomfort below 60–72 Hz. On larger CRT monitors (17" or larger), most people experience mild discomfort unless the refresh is set to 72 Hz or higher. A rate of 100 Hz is comfortable at almost any size. However, this does not apply to LCD monitors. The closest equivalent to a refresh rate on an LCD monitor is its frame rate, which is often locked at 60 fps. But this is rarely a problem, because the only part of an LCD monitor that could produce CRT-like flicker—its backlight—typically operates at around 200 Hz.
I'm not sure why you are asking for a refresh rate of 30!

Reaction score
Or 60 :) just as long it's not the 200 the ati driver seems to set as default after rebooting.

I've read people having similar problems with different ati cards after installing the ati drivers.

Extra info. Chipset drivers are up to date. It's an intel 865g chipset

Reaction score
Yes, I've tried those. No go. It's a pretty annoying problem. I build my own computers, repair laptops. Normaly I can fix pretty much anything, but this one is pretty stubern.

Reaction score
But why does it work with the standard vga drivers then? When I fill out the extreme powersupply calculator it calculates a minimum of 175W and 225 recommended.

So my feeling is that´s a driver problem in the first place. And if it craps out while trying to play a 3D game I can life with that. But now it stops working after installing the offical drivers...

Also, the installation gives a installation manager error( forgot to mention :S)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Because the standard vga driver doesn't push the card or make it need nearly as much power.

It's only a basic driver so the desktop can be seen.

If you have a P4 chip in there, that alone needs about 100W...now figure in the memory. hdd and all other things...now add the card....motherboard itself...etc...

Replace the psu or that card is never going to work with any drivers at all.

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the quick response.

I can´t replace the psu because its a small form factor case, and the psu shape pretty odd.

It´s also pretty crowded inside the case

I guess my nephew will have to use the onboard intel gfx.

Thanks for the quick responses.

P.s. Why doesn´t my profile picture show next to my posts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup...what you've described above is the classic example of what happens when there's not enough power.

Out of curiosity anyway, did you attach the internal molex power connector to the card while trying to get it to work?

If you already did, then like I said, definite case of psu being too weak.

Reaction score
The psu only has 2 molex connection and one sata.

So I installed WinXP. Disconnected the DVD drive and used it's molex connector for the videocard.

So it would have gotten enough power if the psu been capable of it. So only the videocard and hdd are getting power. ( and the mobo, cpu and ram of course).

Still too bad though. I think the P4 with the 3450 would have been nice and cheap and balanced platform for him to play some old games on at low res.

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new here! I have the next system configuration:
MB: AsRock ALiveDual-eSATA2 with NForce 3 chipset

VC: Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 4650 512 MB DDR2 agp
RAM: 2GB Geil (4 DIMM)
Sound card on board
Tv Tuner Leadteck Winfast DV 2000
1 PCI network
PSU A-Line 450 W
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 205 BW

I tried everything to make my video card working but nothing seems to work. Help please!

I've read that there is no solution for Nforce3 and HD 4650.

Pls someone help me!!!

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&CC_0300

Reaction score
You've read correctly, unfortunately.

Must use XP for graphics acceleration to work.

Welcome!

Thanks for your fast response!

But also under Win Xp SP 3 I have the same problem. Could You help me please???

Many thanks in advance!

With much respect,

Geo MECU

Reaction score
There will not be any problems under XP SP3.

Install this driver and let me know if you have further issues:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/10-9_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc.exe

You're welcome.
When I try to access that site I get the messeage:
Unauthorized Download

Tell me if it's the latest driver Catalyst from AMD site. I try that too under XP. I also tried several other Catalyst from 9.11 till 10.9 no result.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Back again on Last Xp build 2600.

I only installed my OS and mozilla firefox browser.

I also installed everest ultimate and it reports that my southbridge nforce 3 250 (CK8S) is working at 4x, but it supports 8x.

Here's what I want to do: download the latest driver for nvidia nforce 3 (I don't know where I can't find but I must search the net very well, maybe you can make my life easier provide me a link or something), download the 10.9 Catalyst for ati and the install them. Is there anything particular you can help me?

I'm not a novice in hardware, but this problem bugged me for almost 3 weeks now.

I won't install anything until I have an answer from you.

I will follow your instructions ad-litteram if you are kind to provide me some.

Many thanks again!

Hardware ins
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&CC_0300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question