How Many Installs for W7U?

Reaction score
I will be receiving W7U discs and have heard both that I can only install on one pc and also up to three? Does anyone know for sure or how I would find out?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For each system you can activate as many times as you need too as long as the hardware doesn't change to the point of looking like a new system.

A single PC license can only be used on one PC but you are allowed to install up to three different systems. So if you want to upgrade to a new PC, you can uninstall from the old system and install to the new system.

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't understand this part; it seems contradictory to me. The second part I get.

<A single PC license can only be used on one PC but you are allowed to install up to three different systems.>

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A Full license allows a user to perform a clean installation of Windows 7 without any stipulations. A Full license may only be installed on one computer at a time. It is legal to move this license to a new PC, or to reinstall the OS when the motherboard has been changed. It is not necessary for the user to own any prior copy of Windows.Full licenses ship with installation media for 32-bit and 64-bit installations.
An OEM license come pre-installed on a new PC, or are purchased by system builders to bundle with new PCs. OEM licenses are Full editions restricted by a non-transference clause which states that the OS may only ever be installed on one computer. It is not legal to move an OEM license to a new PC. It is also not legal to reinstall the operating system if a new motherboard with a different chipset is installed.OEM licenses ship with installation media for 32-bit or 64-bit. You must purchase two separate DVDs if you want both ISAs.
An upgrade license allows a user to perform a clean installation of Windows provided he or she owns a valid, licensed copy of Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista. An Upgrade license may only be installed on one computer at a time. It is legal to move this license to a new PC, or to reinstall the OS when the motherboard has been changed. Once Windows 7 has been installed, it is not legal to use the valid copy of Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista on another system.
Note. If an Upgrade license is used to upgrade an OEM installation, the non-transference clause of the OEM license applies. It is not legal to install and then upgrade the OEM copy on another PC, or after a motherboard swap.
Upgrade licenses are cheaper because they do not allow a user to run more copies of Windows than they already own. Windows 7 has taken the place of another version of Windows. On the other hand, think of Upgrade licenses as something of a buyer loyalty program for those who have bought into Windows in the past.Upgrade licenses ship with installation media for 32-bit and 64-bit installations.
A Family Pack license is three Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade licenses. All the rules and restrictions of an Upgrade license applies to the Family Pack, but it is an economical option for users who have to upgrade several computers. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms.
You are a Qualified Family Pack User if you obtained an upgrade license to Windows 7 Home Premium in a product labeled "Family Pack" on the product packaging and media.

If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, best contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For each system you can activate as many times as you need too as long as the hardware doesn't change to the point of looking like a new system.
If you do change hardware, such as a new mobo, PCI card, video card, etc. It is possible to re-install the OS. One may have to call M$ to get an activation code via phone though.

I had to do this a couple of times when I had an OEM version of XP PRO. A mobo was replaced once and another time I changed video cards. Just tell M$ support that you changed out a piece of hardware and they're cool about it.

Reaction score
As davehc posted (taken from this FAQ), Windows 7 Ultimate can be:
-Installed on one computer ever (OEM)
-On one computer at a time with unlimited reinstalls (Full/Upgrade)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Q: What is an OEM license?
A: OEM licenses come pre-installed on a new PC, or are purchased by system builders to bundle with new PCs. OEM licenses are Full editions restricted by a non-transference clause which states that the OS may only ever be installed on one computer. It is not legal to move an OEM license to a new PC. It is also not legal to reinstall the operating system if a new motherboard with a different chipset is installed.
That's an interesting statement since when I had XP Pro OEM and my mobo died, I was able to re-install the OEM OS. One call to MS and explained the situation, they gave me a new activation code. MS support people are there to help you, not to give you grief. I also did this when I upgraded my CPU and changed from an nVidia graphics card to an ATI Radeon. So I know that at least on four occasions I was able to get new activations from MS via phone with no problems whatsoever.

Perhaps it has changed with Windows 7, but I imagine that MS will work with people. When a mobo crashes or the CPU fries out there is no reason to purchase a new install disk of the OS. MS is there to help people with these types of problems.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
they gave me a new activation code. MS support people are there to help you, not to give you grief
I have had this a few times over the years and MS have always been very helpful and supplied an activation code within the same day.

Reaction score
Can anyone supply me with a "free" phone number for this? The ones I see you have to pay.

Thanks

Reaction score
Can anyone supply me with a "free" phone number for this? The ones I see you have to pay.

Thanks
Where are you located? We can't give you a free number that is if it even exist if you are on a different continent.

Reaction score
That makes sense. Sorry. Los Angeles. I had a number, but recently lost it in an unsuccessful Outlook back-up attempt.

Reaction score
Microsoft Windows Product Activation phone number (for the US anyhow) is 1-888-571-2048

Ask a Question