Failing HD's: How Many Installs w/ W7U?

Reaction score
My understanding is that W7 can be installed on two PC's. I've only installed it on my desktop, but I'm not having much luck with HD's and I have to replace my current HD for the third time with a clean install. Can I do this from the same disc?

I will be getting a laptop soon that I want to install my W7U version on which would normally count as my second installation. Will I be able to do this with three installs on my desktop? How are these installs tracked?

Reaction score
Can you explain abit further about installing Windows on two PC's?

You are only allowed one install per purchase of Windows 7. Windows 7 comes with two disk, one 32-bit and one 64-bit. This allows you to make a decision of which bit version you want installed. However you are only allowed to install one of them at a time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You shouldn't be having that many issues with your hard drives really. I have NEVER heard of three hard drives going bad in a row.

What exactly is going on with the drives? Have you tested the hard drives?

Cliff is correct about the Windows 7 install process, one key per product install. If you want to install Windows 7 on another computer you'll have to buy another product key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I had heard this as well when I first bought W7, Clifford. I think what it really is, is that it can be activated two times. And so some people, WRONGLY, assumed that meant they were allowed to install it on two computers.

Yes, supposedly there is a limit to the number of times you can activate your license. I have heard that is 2 times and somewhere else I had heard it's 2 times within a 90 day period.

Here is the deal, if you have a full retail license then you may install it on one machine and if you reach the activation limit you will be required to call Microsoft on the phone to actually activate. Personally, I have no desire to test Microsoft's patience so I installed it on one machine and I activated it when I had to.

If you have an OEM license there may be further restrictions such as, "officially" if you change the motherboard then it is a "new PC" and your license is ended but I know people who have still been able to contact Microsoft and they have authorized it (but don't count on that being the case with everyone you reach at Microsoft because per the agreement, you ended the license when you bought what qualifies as a "new PC").

If Microsoft detects multiple PCs with the same license, sometimes even several months down the line then your OS may start displaying a "This Windows is Not Genuine" message and you don't want that, so keep it on one machine and keep your installs to a minimum and be prepared to phone Microsoft if you can't activate via the internet.

HDs are cheap these days unless you want SSD; so buy yourself a good one and install+activate W7 one more time.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And for what its worth "How are these installs tracked", is not a consideration. The discussion here is the legality of the operation. Microsoft have a computersised, automatic Dbase of Keys. Any request for those already in use can be rejected, although some slip through the cracks.
You can reinstall on the same computer, as many times as you wish. If you have difficulties due to a change of hardware, a tel. call to Microsoft will usually work, although they are now getter harder on the subject.
You can install on another machine (Your Laptop), but you must first uninstall from the first machine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can install on another machine (Your Laptop), but you must first uninstall from the first machine.
The full version, this isn't supposed to be true of an OEM copy.

Reaction score
My intention is not to cheat or game the system, I'm just trying to deal with keeping my PC running for my home office business. Maybe I am confused about the "2 PC" situation because I just talked to MS and talked to them about upgrading to Office 2010 and they said it could be installed on 2.

I am also upgrading my PC including a new MOBO. I bought W7U for my PC and upgrading my PC shouldn't affect that in my opinion. Upgrading and replacing PC parts is part of PC life. When W8 comes out next year, I will buy it then.

So do I understand correctly that when I replace my MOBO and HD I shouldn't have a problem installing W7U again?

Reaction score
So do I understand correctly that when I replace my MOBO and HD I shouldn't have a problem installing W7U again?
True if you purchased the Retail version. The OEM version is bound to the hardware it's installed on. Simply remove the Retail version from the old system and install to the new system. The retail version is transferable to a new system thus meaning it is not meant to be left on the old system.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I just talked to MS and talked to them about upgrading to Office 2010 and they said it could be installed on 2.
Regarding Office 2010 that is true on the two installs per license, with Windows 7 it's one license key equals one install regardless of whether it's the X86 or X64 versions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am also upgrading my PC including a new MOBO. I bought W7U for my PC and upgrading my PC shouldn't affect that in my opinion. Upgrading and replacing PC parts is part of PC life.
Microsoft is not of the same opinion and you agreed to their interpretation when you activated. If you have the OEM version then new MOBO means new PC and legally your OEM/System Builder license dies with that old MOBO. As Dave said, the retail versions may be transferred as long as it is only kept on 1 machine.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I think some of you here are coming down on this fellow a little too hard.

He has not stated whether he has the full retail edition or the OEM edition so y'all should not be jumping to conclusions about his Windows 7 edition status. Besides that, I have talked with others in the tech community here in Austin and you are able to install the retail edition up to 10 times before the phone activation kicks in, not 2 times as stated by others.

To be honest, he can install the retail edition as many times as he wants on as many different hardware configurations as he wants as long as it is one install activation per machine per one key. The key may only be activated on one machine at a time.

Regarding OEM reinstalls, even Microsoft gives confusing answers at the their own Windows 7 Answers forums, see below. I personally know of three instances where the OEM was installed, motherboards were replaced (not original model or makers) and the activation was allowed by the MS people via phone. One mobo was fried due to bad capacitors, one was where the neighborhood had a lightning strike and the other was where a faulty power supply went kaput and blew out the mobo's IC circuits.

From Ed Bott's Microsoft Report:
A PC hobbyist or enthusiast who wants to buy a legal copy of Windows 7 at a discount gets confusing and conflicting information from Microsoft’s web site. Microsoft’s own “decision engine” leads him to software he isn’t supposed to use, and even offers extra discounts if he buys through those links. He gets no information from online retailers who will happily take his money for a product he technically isn’t allowed to install. And he gets absolutely wrong answers if he asks at Microsoft’s official help forums. Is that pathetic, or what?
A Microsoft spokesperson told me that the policy toward use of OEM software by home PC builders hasn’t changed, and that the documents I found and pointed readers to for years were “mistakes.” Sorry, that doesn’t cut it. When you publish information on your website, and when you create glossy handouts that you distribute to your partners for years, those represent your policy. You can’t suddenly change that policy by deleting copies of the old documents and pretending they never existed. That shows an appalling lack of transparency, not to mention a lack of respect for customers.
Normally, I’m a firm believer in following the letter and the spirit of software license agreements. In this case, though, given Microsoft’s complete breakdown in communicating with its customers, I’m willing to make a major exception. I have no problem enthusiastically recommending these discounted copies of Windows for anyone building a PC for their own personal use. And I think someone at Microsoft should step up and formally approve that exception. It’s the right thing to do.

SOURCE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saidas - Go ahead and do what you need to do to get your Windows 7 system up and running again. If you have issues with Windows 7 activation, call Microsoft and talk to their tech people. They are there to help you and they want you to enjoy the Windows 7 experience as much as possible. They are not there to cajol, threaten, intimidate or cause you to have a bad customer experience or anything else. Believe me as I have personally dealt with them on several occasions and they were professional, friendly and more than willing to get the situation resolved and activation to continue.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't feel I'm jumping on him at all; I'm merely sharing the facts and I make it clear that there is a difference between OEM/System Builders and Retail license agreements. People will do what people will do and it's seems Microsoft will pretty much do as they darn well please.

And I think someone at Microsoft should step up and formally approve that exception. It’s the right thing to do.
Thinking it rarely makes it so and businesses seldom put doing "the right thing" ahead of profits.

We've told him he will be fine installing to his new HD though it may necessitate a phone call to MS and we warned him of the OEM MOBO Microsoft licensing issue (even IF it does not apply to the poster then others finding this thread will know, as it MAY apply to them).

I think we answered his question though he hasn't marked the thread as solved so we cannot be sure.

Ask a Question