Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM....how many activations am I allowed?

Reaction score
Hello I bought a Corsair Neutron Series 256GB SSD (to replace dying plextor 120GB SSD and I trust corsair more) &
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit (16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3) CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B. I have a genuine copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM I used once I think but I registered it. Now that my system will notably have a hardware change. Will windows let me use my purchased genuine copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM again, with a successful activation on my upgraded system? Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You should be fine as long as you don't replace the motherboard. If you have activation issues, give MS a call and explain the problem. From what I understand there is no limit to the number of activations as long as you are activating on the same hardware. The hardware is mainly based around the motherboard but other changes may trigger deactivation. I've been deactivated several times but activation has always been automated since it wasn't the motherboard that was changed. I've not once had to make a phone call from deactivation.

Ask a Question