Homegroup file transfers causing problems

Reaction score
Currently have 2 computers running Win 7 RC (7100). One is running x64, the other x86. (I'll list the system specs at the end).

When I try to transfer files (so far they are large ,700+mb video files) I have gotten: BSOD on the x64 machine, or file stops transferring (data bar turns red) and I get a message saying it can't find any other home group computer and have to reboot both machines.

RC7 x64 machine:
Biostar TA790GX-128M mobo (latest BIOS)
AMD Phenom II X3-720BE 2.8Ghz
8Gb GSkill ddr2 800
BFG nVidia 9800GTX+ 1Gb video
WD 640Gb SATA II HD
RC 7 x64 fully updated

RC 7 x86 machine:
Biostar K8NHA Grand (nForce 3 250GB chipset) mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4Ghz
2Gb GSkill memory
MSI 7600GT 512mb AGP Video
Maxtor 340Gb IDE HD
RC 7 x86 fully updated

Transferring across hard wired network through a Linksys WRT54G v5 latest firmware. Didn't have any problems transferring files between these 2 using Vista.

Sam

Reaction score
Do you have either NIC set to allow the computer to turn it off to save power?
No I have run into that in the past and make sure now I go into Power options and turn that off any time I install an OS.

It doesn't do it every time. I had transferred a file, transferred a 2nd got the BSOD, rebooted both, tried to transfer another, got the can't find any Homegroup computers message, rebooted both, was able to transfer a 3rd file.

Sam

Reaction score
Drat. That was the easy idea. Oh well.....

I found THIS on Technet.

It's my understanding that BSOD's are hardware related conflicts or failures. Have you taken a look at the BSOD dump file? Maybe there is a clue in there.

Turn off "Automatically Restart" in System Properties-->Advanced-->Startup and Recovery so you can see what caused the BSOD. And post the contents of the dump file here, maybe someone will see something.

Have you tried the Troubleshooter? Another thing you could do is use the "Problem Steps Recorder" and submit this to Microsoft.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, the BSOD error message would help in identifying the problem.

Which NIC are you using on the x64 machine and are you using the Windows 7 driver that came from MS?

Reaction score
Yep, the BSOD error message would help in identifying the problem.

Which NIC are you using on the x64 machine and are you using the Windows 7 driver that came from MS?
It is an onboard Realtek RTL8111c and the driver is an MS one, vr 7.2.1127.2008.

Sam

Reaction score
It is an onboard Realtek RTL8111c and the driver is an MS one, vr 7.2.1127.2008.
Sam
Have you tried the "delete the NIC and reboot" method? Should that not reinstall the NIC on startup & grab the latest driver from MS?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

A quick look on Realtek's page puts June 1st 2009 as the driver date for the built in driver.

Just an idea.....

Reaction score
Just found the newest driver on RealTek's site and installed it, vr. 7.3.522.2009. Will try some file transfers later and see what happens.

Also Windows couldn't open either of the 2 .dmp files the BSODs created.

Sam

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good luck with that Sam, as that is a very recently created driver build you stand a good chance of it working well :)

Reaction score
Good luck with that Sam, as that is a very recently created driver build you stand a good chance of it working well :)
I do realize that the weak link is the nForce 3 board as it uses a 2006 driver from MS and nVidia isn't producing drivers for that chipset any more.

Sam

Reaction score
Updated the TA790GX-128m NIC (RTL8111C) driver but still get about 50-75% through a file transfer when the transfer stalls, then I get a message saying the homegroup computer isn't available. Now it seems to work OK on small file transfers, the problems only seem to be on 700mb+ size files and it doesn't matter which computer I start the transfer from.

I do have a new wireless router (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH) coming that has Gigabyte LAN (as do both of these computers) so I'll see if possibly the Linksys router has something to do with it.

Sam

Reaction score
I ended up putting in a GB LAN PCI card to replace the on-board NIC and have had no problem transferring large files since.

Sam

Ask a Question