SOLVED file and drive sharing with homegroup

Reaction score
I have two win7 ultimate computers in a Home group. Each computer has same password and libraries ticked. I also turned on sharing for two drives on each computer. Both computers are in the Same Workgroup.

Neither computer can see the other.

Thanks to all who help.

Reaction score
Is Network Discovery enabled? If not do the following:
- Click Start
- Control Panel
- Network and Sharing Center
- Click "Change advanced sharing settings"
- Under Home
- Enable the option.

Did you try accessing another computer on your network?
Enter: \\computername in the Start Search box.

Let us know if this works.

Reaction score
Sometimes the pc's using the same password will create a conflict. To test, try turning off user name and password settings in advanced sharing setttings.

Reaction score
I tried the solutions mentioned. Network Discovery is on and password protection is off as I prefer,

OK....so Homegroup is set up between my FamilyPC running Win7 and Kevin-PC (really a laptop)also running Win7. There is also a Roku box, an Xbox Extender and a Grace internet radio on the homegroup. Attached to FamilyPC is a printer and an external hard drive used for Archiving. Everything appears to be properly configured and the printer and the external drive can both be accessed by both computers
but neither computer can access the other's main (C:) drive.

Trying to reach Kevin-PC's C: drive from FamilyPC gives me this error.....
"Windows cannot access \\Kevin-PC\c......You do not have permission....Contact your network administrator to request access".
Trying to reach back the other way gives the same appropriate message. Of course the administrators are the Users of these units.

I have been fooling around with the Homegroup Troubleshooter and changing permissions but nothing has worked so far. Anybody got a clue?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You are having trouble sharing the C Drives because that would not be secure since that includes more than just data, that would allow access to the OS & programs which W7 tries to protect.

All you should be sharing is data. Normally this would be libraries in the public users folder as well as any individual libraries the users may choose to share.

Ask a Question