Need help setting up HomeGroup, sharing Files/Printer

Reaction score
Greets,
I was going to Post this in "Internet and Networking", but couldn't Post there.
I have two laptops, one win7-Home and one win7-Pro,
and one printer.
Both computers have internet access via a 'Belkin N750DB Router' with two USB ports.
And i Need help setting up HomeGroups, sharing Folders/Files/Printer.
Router and computers are working so well now,
i am afraid to experiment on my own with HomeGroups and Networking.
HomeGroups is networking, isn't it?

Thanks...Vernon

Reaction score
1. Setup the Home Group on the pc with Windows 7 Professional. 2. Type Home Group in the start menu's search box on the Windows 7 Professional and setup what you want to share. 3. Write the Home Group number from the Windows 7 Professional pc and on the Windows 7 Home Premium pc, join that Home Group. You'll need to enter the Windows 7 Professionals Home Group code on the Home Premium pc, by selecting to join that Home Group.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes, Homegroup is networking. When you setup you homegroup, use a strong password, one with mixed numbers and upper and lower case letters, and at least one special character.

That said, for your printing, I recommend using a print server (PS) instead of sharing the printer. With a PS, the printing device (printer or AiO) sits on (connects to) your network just like your computers do - either via wireless or by Ethernet cable (or in your case, your router also supports network printing via USB). In this way there are many advantages.
  • Better security as no printer sharing is required,
  • The printer is not tethered to a "host" computer,
  • No "host" computer need be up and running for others to print,
  • The printer can be centrally located for easy access to all users,
  • All users can print at the same time and PS will sort the print jobs out.
See page 12 of your Belkin router manual for connecting and setting up network printing.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Digerati : is a 'print server' a software program? Is there a freeware one available? Or is it already on my computer? What do you use?
No, it is a hardware device. Either a standalone device, some printers have them built in so all you do is connect the printer to a network with its own network interface, or some routers have one built in. Your router manual suggests you can plug your printer into your router via USB.

Once the printer is connected to the network, you have to reconfigure the drivers (or add a new printer) on each machine to print to the networked printer. With Windows 7, it usually is simple - just follow the prompts to add a new networked printer and it (Win7) will go find it.

Ask a Question