SOLVED Hard Disk not detected in BIOS after new RAM installation?!?!?

Reaction score
As per this thread https://www.w7forums.com/ddr3-ram-placement-arrangement-dual-channel-etc-t10365.html , I have successfully installed my new RAM and I was even able to boot into Windows 7 and see '8 GB' in the system properties. However, when I turned the PC off and turned it on a moment later, the hard disk won't boot. There was a long, black screen pause the moment I turned the PC on before I saw the MSI splash screen and even when I was accessing the BIOS options, it was slow as hell. Then it will not detect my hard disk and will proceed to boot an OS but no avail as it did not detect my hard disk. When I did enter the BIOS options (after a long pause), my hard disk isn't there and only the DVD Writer was the detected SATA device.

I have tried the following

1. (Since adding new RAM was the most recent hardware change) removing all the RAM and tried each one by one on slot 1 even as going with only 2 GB RAM and still it will not detect my hard disk.
2. exchanging the power cables of the hard disk with different ones present in the PC and using different SATA cables even exchanging with the one used by the DVD writer...still, no luck
3. doing a CMOS dump
4. flashing the BIOS to the latest one available (which was successful)
5. Removing the jumper behind the hard disk (this is the exact model of my hard disk http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c89ef141e7f43110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD )
6. tried 'listening' to the hard disk on boot by placing the hard disk near my ear then pressing the power button. I did hear a slight whine probably indicating the start spinning motion of the platters then it proceeded to sound normal...no ticking sound whatsoever

Sorry, I was not sure where to place this thread whether in the hardware section or in the debugging section.

The weird thing is, when I disconnected the hard disk entirely and booted the PC, it booted normally! The MSI splash screen appeared in an instant like normal, displayed the 8 GB memory in the normal fashion in the BIOS startup screen when I pressed tab on the MSI splash screen, and like 5 seconds later, it proceeded to look for an OS and of course that's where it stopped. Entered the BIOS setup in this mode and everything was A-OK...except that there's no hard disk.

I'm not sure how installing new RAM could 'kill' a hard disk. I'm not even sure if I should rule out the new RAM as the cause of the problem as this seems to be a completely different problem and the only reason the new RAM was a suspect is because that adding the new RAM was the most recent hardware change. As far as my knowledge in computers go, the hard disk is supposed to be 'far' from the RAM yes? And any supposed damage on either one should almost never affect the other. But then again I'm open to anything regarding this matter. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nevermind, it appears the drive is really dead now and I was seeing signs of it about to die. I'm never gonna buy Seagate drives again. Made a quick run to the computer store and bought a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB. All is well now...except I have to re-download a lot of stuff.

Reaction score
I have been using Seagates for over 5 years never a problem. How long have you owned it some of the drives a couple of years back had 5 year warranties. All manufacturers make drives that sometimes fail even WD which I would suspect has a higher failure rate then Seagate

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Should have gotten a Scorpio Black... better drive IMHO.

Seagate's quality has really been suffering lately. I don't know what exactly all their issues are but I haven't used a Seagate in 4 years.

For me it's Samsung first, then Western Digital.

Ask a Question