SOLVED do i have an issue here? "Windows has detected a hard disk problem"

Reaction score
i got this lovely message today..."Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files to prevent information loss and then contact the system administrator to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk." I have 2 partitions on my hard drive. (HP 510 running Windows 7 build 7100, Intel Celeron M 1.400 GHz and 2GB ram, 60GB hard drive, 1 partition dedicated to windows 7, and another drive for music only, both ntfs format) C:\ is Windows 7, and D:\ has no operating system. I right clicked on each drive in my computer, C:\ is fine thank god. D:\ has "some minor issues that were fixed." it is telling my to run chkdsk /f. is this a good idea or should i just reformat this drive? (music and drive contents are backed up), or should i live with one partition? PS the computer is running fine, i can access and edit the files on both drives, and it runs like it always has. upon restarting, i got a similar message to the one at the beginning... Thanks for looking

Reaction score
chkdsk /f. or reformat
The choice is yours to make. Either option is a good choices.

If you want to try and repair the disk use chkdsk /f. If you want to start with a fresh format this is a good option as well. Since you are having errors you should do the full format instead of the quick format.

Personally I would do both, Check for errors and format afterward.

Reaction score
Looks like the SMART system kicked in. Backup your files as your hard drive may be getting ready to crash. I highly recommend you don't take this lightly. Back your files up immediately.

Reaction score
thanks guys. i reformatted that drive, ran chkdsk again and everything works fine now.

Ask a Question