Trouble getting computer started after erasing hard disk

Reaction score
I went on youtube trying to find information for restarting my laptop. Nothing has worked. Can't even get to the menu that says restore to factory condition. It keep saying no bootable device, insert disk and hit any key.

Reaction score
Hello Brenda,

Try the following:
Take out the laptops battery.
Disconnect from the power supply.
Press and hold power button for 30 seconds.
Place the battery once again.
Turn the laptop on and keep tapping the Delete key multiple times.
Once in BIOS, Load default values.
Press F10 to save changes and check if you are able to boot to Windows.
If you want to reinstall the OS, please check the support documentation for the key to initiate System Recovery (ideally it would be F8 or F10 depending on the manufacturer.

All the best.
-Edwin

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I see this was posted over a month ago so you have probably dealt with it already but in case not or for anyone looking for an answer to this situation ...

"No Bootable Device" sounds like your hard disk has probably crashed. If that is the case, all of your software (including the OS) as well as your data are likely gone. There are exceptions where the data may be recovered with recovery software but it depends if the drive table was just corrupted or if it is actual physical drive failure. No matter what you would need to install a new harddrive & then reinstall everything. Of course if you have an external (or secondary internal drive) backup or even backup to the internet (such as cloud storage) then you can restore from that once you install a replacement hard drive.

Ask a Question