Halo slow in Windows 7

Reaction score
i always play this game . was with xp . very fast and smoth
but with win7 its working also . but its like slow , and not that smoth was with xp
Code:
gforce nvidia 9500 1gb ram . 
pc dual core 2do 2.53 and 4gb ram 
[B][COLOR=Blue]win7 build 7600        [/COLOR][/B]
driver :
190.38_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql
any ideas ?
and wanna know what is DX is good for my win ?
and pls give me the link for downloading

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't understand your last part in red, you don't need to update DirectX if that is what you are trying to download :)

I did some googling and others have had a similar problem and recommended that you should "Disable HDMI feature, or your digital audio option" to solve the problem. It would be worth giving that a try to see if it helps.

Reaction score
ok thanx for ur reply ,
but how iDisable HDMI ? and whats it for ?
and digital audio option.. whare i found this things ? :)
sorry about m english !

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi ante,

I've disabled my HDMI as it does give you better performance although I shouldn't think this is your main cause of slow down.
First though, check out the screenshot to see how to turn off HDMI... You'll need to open Device manager, right-click on High definition Audio device, click driver (along the top) and click 'disable' about half-way down.
Did you patch the game? If you look inside the Halo folder on your C drive you should see an icon called update launcher. Click that and it will update automatically to version 1.08.
I'd also right click on the launch exe, click properties and change the compatibility to XP.
See how you go. If there's still no change then you may have to try a different driver...

Edit: I just reread your post and see that you have a nvidia card...DoH! I'd forget about the HDMI as you probably don't have this feature (it's a feature normally associated with ATI cards). Try a different driver instead as well as the compatibility change I mentioned above...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you .
i did as u said ., and i have no sound in my pc now !!
:eek: that is ?
here the pic after i did ,
not : i noticed after i moved the game from D: to C: THE game came faster , but not as it was with xp .
about chaning driver , what driver is the best :dontknow:

Attachments

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You must have missed my edit where I said forget about turning off the HDMI as this only works with ATI cards..
As to which driver to try...You could check out a Halo forum such as this one:

http://www.everythinghalo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

They might know the best driver to try..

Did you patch the game?

I recently replayed Halo on win7 and it ran flawlessly, in fact better than vista..
You could also try updating your sound drivers because believe it or not this does effect how your game will run..

Reaction score
Ross U REALLY HELPING ME, THANK YOU
turning off the HDMI i forget it .
about Halo forum . i well give it a try
about patching the game :
no . the game i have is only for online and its not full at all .
about sound drivers i am using win7 driver and i well try orginal driver :)
i well inform u any update if i can soon.
agine , thank you

Reaction score
First though, check out the screenshot to see how to turn off HDMI... You'll need to open Device manager, right-click on High definition Audio device, click driver (along the top) and click 'disable' about half-way down.
Ross this is not disabling HDMI. This is disabling the high definition controller completely. Disabling this will turn the onboard sound off.

Wouldn't disabling HDMI support for video cards be located within the Video settings?

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ross this is not disabling HDMI. This is disabling the high definition controller completely. Disabling this will turn the onboard sound off.

Wouldn't disabling HDMI support for video cards be located within the Video settings?

LOL....if you look at my screenshot you'll see that under sound devices I have a sound blaster audigy and an HDMI. The HDMI actually belongs to the graphic card...Weird I know but higher end ATI graphic cards do have a HDMI controler. It's also been discovered that if you don't actually use it then turning it off will give you more performance. This is true. I guess more of the cards power is given over to the graphic side of things.
Now in ante's case i got confused somewhere his and Ians post, so thought that he had a card like mine.. After rereading i then told him to turn it back on...So sorry for any confusion caused...:)
Edit: I found one article that deals with this but not the original one i read but the ideas the same...I'll paste part of it here:

Radeon HD 2000 series fixed the HDCP issue and things went back to normal, but now Hardware-Infos claim that you actually lose a little bit of 3D performance if you drive the audio through the graphics card. While in theory this should not happen - as HD audio is just passing through the PCI express bus and being synced with the picture, independent testing is now showing that Radeon 4800 series suffers from a small performance drop regardless of HDMI being an active connection or not.
Benjamin discovered that disabling the "ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio" in Device Manager brings a small performance boost.
In games such as Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2, GRAW 2, GTA IV, Tom Clancy HAWX and Stalker: Clear Sky in 1920x1200, with 4x AntiAliasing and 16x Anisotropic Filtering, disabling the "ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio" brought anywhere between two and five percent. Most of applications saw a difference between 2-3 percent [inside the margin of error], but five percent is a tangible difference.
Taken from here:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...io-driver-reduces-radeons-3d-performance.aspx

@ Ante
So from what your saying, you only have the online version of Halo? Hmm... it'll still need updating if possible. Also if you list your machine spec I'll point you in the right direction for drivers.. It's usually always best to keep All drivers up to date. This includes motherboard/chipset, sound and graphics as well as anything else thats needed..

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's also been discovered that if you don't actually use it then turning it off will give you more performance. This is true. I guess more of the cards power is given over to the graphic side of things.
Would I this help in my computer as well. I have the "Radeon HD 4350 HDMI". I'm not a gamer and dont use the HDMI port.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It may although I must admit that the only boost i've seen is a graphical one.. I've never benched with say an office app to see if an improvement is gained...
Food for thought?

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your very welcome... Lets hope that Antes next post has some positive results...

Reaction score
@ Ante
So from what your saying, you only have the online version of Halo? Hmm... it'll still need updating if possible. Also if you list your machine spec I'll point you in the right direction for drivers.. It's usually always best to keep All drivers up to date. This includes motherboard/chipset, sound and graphics as well as anything else thats needed..
about apdating my halo1 NO update . its online halo only and alsoits very old now
and no update gor this one, ! :ciao:
updating my sound, i off it from M.B and same . so no need to update it .
updating my vedio card ... i change the game vedio setup to worest vedio setting , and now change so that mean no need to change the driver ... i thing its came from win7
about my pc spec here is 2 pic show u what u asking for . (attatiment)
in fact updating my sound driver to old one or the orginal one , i thing its not good idea cuz this driver came from win7. and the driver in CD very old .
i still do not know how i off HDMI cuz HDMI not as u said before in my case .,
IF U WANNA FULL INFO ABOUT MY PC HERE WE GO :
http://www.urstorm.com/win7BABY/Report.htm
i am not gamer , but i am playing halo1 3years ago :)
and i care for this game mush ,

Attachments

Reaction score
i am gona dowload this :)
well back soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website.
that is gust a
general driver .
but i well try both.

Ask a Question