Slow boot, caused by smss.exe?

Reaction score
I'm running windows 7 SP1 x64 fully updated on a samsung Evo SSD, my boot time is usually around 40 seconds so I'm guessing something is going wrong with smss.exe on line #5 just because of the timeline.

Here is an image of my log captured with windows performance recorder (look at window title for flags used)
Untitled-1.png
I can upload the .etl file if needed, just let me know.

What I tried so far:
  • Some time ago I solved this exact same issue on other computer with microsoft's kb 278381 I already tried it and it is not working.
  • I ran CCleaner, System and IE: all selected, Advanced: Windows Event Logs and Old Prefetch Data
  • I also tried system restore, not working (I deleted restore points before noticing the slow boot times)
  • "sfc /scannow" with result "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I have a virtual computer that is booting normally with the same operating system version, so I can copy stuff from there if needed.
It is very likely that I won't do a system reinstall, just because I have programs that might stop working after that (I know it is lame, but that's how it is).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

XPO

Reaction score
Hello exaclty the same issue on my side Dell Latitude E5470, with Samsung SSD M2. fresh install, and stuck at Starting Windows step for 70 seconds. performing Windows Performance Recorder and SMSS.exe is also corresponding to the 70 sec. delays (Session0InitDuration = 65186ms).
Did you solve this issue?
Regards,

Reaction score
Hello exaclty the same issue on my side Dell Latitude E5470, with Samsung SSD M2. fresh install, and stuck at Starting Windows step for 70 seconds. performing Windows Performance Recorder and SMSS.exe is also corresponding to the 70 sec. delays (Session0InitDuration = 65186ms).
Did you solve this issue?
Regards,
For me it was solved by itself this time, after some days (nothing installed around this time, not even a windows update).

Sadly this means that it can happen again and I don't have an answer yet, that's why I haven't mark this as solved yet.

Ask a Question