[Guide] Maplestory on Windows 7

Reaction score
Ok, so yes Maplestory does in fact work!
I'll show you the steps to getting it to work perfectly :)

For GMS Users (Global Maplestory):
Assuming you have GMS installed already, follow these steps:

First go to your Maplestory folder, the default location is C:\Nexon\Maplestory

Now right click on Maplestory.exe and the select Properties

The next step is to click on the Compatibility tab at the top

Then look at Run this program in compatibility mode for: then tick the box and select Windows XP SP3.

Now look a further down and look at the option Privilege Level tick the box in front of the words: Run this program as an administrator

Your screen should look like this if you have done it correctly:

Ok so now all you have to do is click Apply and then OK and you can start playing :) Happy Mapling!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For DXWnd users (The Private Server Community):

You will have to follow the same steps above for your server client, when you finish the instructions above then you can read on.

So assuming you have your Maplestory files and you have set your client to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 then read the following:

Warning: There is a BUG! You cannot have DXWnd and Internet Explorer open at the same time! Internet Explorer will stop working (just a freeze up). In order to get IE working again you must close out of DXWnd!

Ok, so basically you are going to do what you did for your server client. You must set the compatibility mode again. What you want to do first is go to your DXWnd folder

Then right click on dxwnd.exe and select properties

Next step is to go to the Compatibility tab and do the same thing you did with your server client:

Tick the first box and select Windows XP SP3 and then tick the box next to the words: Run this program as an administrator

It should look like so:

Once your window looks like that then click Apply and OK.

Next you will need to configure DXWnd.

So open up DXWnd.

Once it is open go to Edit>Add

This window will pop up:

First thing you need to do is find your client (which will be in your Maplestory folder if you extracted the client to the right place). Use the '...' to navigate to your client.

Now depending on which version of DirectX you have that is what you will choose.
The choice is only between DirectX8 and DirectX9. (Note that all newer model computers should use the option DirectX9)
Anything below those two choices will not work.

Once you choose the DirectX version, select OK.

Now DXWnd is configured! You can now start playing!

I hope this guide helped you guys out!

Happy Mapling!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Didn't work for me. Still get GameGuard (0) error. You sure you tested this? I'm on Build 7077 but it shouldn't matter.

Reaction score
Didn't work for me. Still get GameGuard (0) error. You sure you tested this? I'm on Build 7077 but it shouldn't matter.
As long as you are not trying to use DXWnd on the current maple global then yes it will work. I have tested my method.

Reaction score
I am not using a private server. I'm on Maple Global :(
Oh well, hopefully Maple will work on the RC, don't wanna have to wait until the RTM.

Reaction score
It failed... Ahnlab hackshield seems to be blocking running in compatibility mode.

Reaction score
Installation on Win 7 RC

Hey there, after doing a clean install of RC 7100 i keep getting a 2350 serverr error trying to install maple. I'm running th einstaller as admin and in compatibility mode. I've tried multiple times now and jsut can't get it to get passed the "copying new files" part. Retry, Abort, and Ignore all end up the same, with that error. As well and a Cab1 error something about re-inserting the cdrom....I downloaded multiple times from nexon. Eve the rar files end up the same. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I have successfully run Maplestory on Windows 7. I had to click on the apply for all users tab to get it to work though. It wouldn't seem to work without doing that. That is for Global. I don't know about the private servers.

Without clicking on apply for all users I was getting a hackshield error about running in compatability mode.

Reaction score
It failed... Ahnlab hackshield seems to be blocking running in compatibility mode.
I've the same problem
if I change the compability than hackshield gives an error
if I do not change it, it gives a mykeydefens error

Reaction score
i tried doing it this way but when i have the compatibility for windows xp sp3 it maplestory locks up when i open it, it shows the start game button but thats all, everything else is white

Reaction score
For the US version of Maple Story, simply run under Vista compatibility mode (no service pack) and check the run as admin box.

Works for me. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Reaction score
maple Compatability Win 7

After my download of Maple, I logged on successfully for 2 days, then the Dec 22nd News update occured. So I Followed the suggestion to " login as Admin and Win 7 set to Win XP Svcpack 3" ...Maple logs on, shows the screen to 3 seconds and closes with error messege: Server not available or Hackshield or a Korean error messege. I suspect my WIN 7 is not emulating Win XP properly or Nexon has put security measures in place which are causing this problem.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
You can say whether or not the post right above yours helped. =/

I don't understand how people look right past stuff like that.

Reaction score
maple Story Compatibiliy W Windows 7

Tried every combination Win XP, Vista all SVC Packs with & w/o Admin...no luck with Maple story. Maple Story logs all the way in to the screen, then shuts down after 3 seconds: error messege says- " Server not available" I have other XP copmputers running Maple now on line.

Any other ideas what to change?

Reaction score
Ok just got a computer today with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit pre-installed and i tried loading Maplestory off my jumpdrive... Jumpdrive is formatted off a windows xp so i figured it'd work... well didnt let me so i tried downloading off the maplestory site... I tried the main method (quick method) and it says
"MSDownloaderv80.exe is not a valid win32 application"

now heres the problem... i try running in Windows xp service pack 3 and Windows vista (no service pack) with admin turned on and it gives me this error... currently i am downloading the old long way (all the files at once) and hoping this works... anybody having this problem that could help me install?

thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maplestory on Windows 7

I have been working on this for 2 days now...Also I have downloaded MS twice, I have read every thread on the WEB and tried every combination of Win XP, with various Srvc packs, admin on, admin off, firewalls off, ...no luck yet making MS work.

I suspect this: I have Win 7 Home Premium and it may not be able to emulate Windows XP...however, according to the comparison chart Win 7 Professional can emulate these different modes. I will call tomorrow and find out if I need to spend money to upgrade to Win 7 Pro
Comparisons shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

I U solve this puzzle please reply...

Reaction score
Windows 7 Home Premium WORKS (as is) with Maple Story!

Be Aware:
1) Win 7 Home Premium cannot emulate Vista or Windows XP BUT the tabs are there and so are the selections. These modes only work with Windows 7 Profesional.
2) Norton Anti Virus, even in its bare bones form of trial versions, WILL confuse/block/interfere with Maple Story. Remove Norton completely. Symantec has a program download to remove and eradicate all traces of Norton. Keep an eye on your other antivirus programs.

After removing Norton AntiVirus, MapleStory works perfectly with Win 7 !!!

Reaction score
can you please give me proof that if you delete your antivirus programs that maplestory will work???

Ask a Question