[Guide] Maplestory on Windows 7

Reaction score
Ok, I am running Maplestory on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I have 4GB of ram (3.75GB usable), Athalon Processor 2650e 1.60 GHz, and an Nvidia GeForce 6150SE integrated card. I am also running on Verizon FiOS. I assume that these are well above the system requirements for Maplestory. However, when I run it (Ran as Admin) it works fine. I log on and I lag ridiculously. I figured maybe it was because I hadn't downloaded my video driver. So I did. I ran World of Warcraft and it ran flawlessly. Maplestory still lagged. I've even put the background settings on lowest and it barely changes anything. Does anyone have a solution to this? One would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I tried following this guide that tells you how to change the registry to fix Maplestory but I tried following the directory that was listed but I couldn't find the file that the guy on the guide was talking about.

Link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=924697&topic=51978062&page=1

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm on Maple Global.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, i downloaded MS game client and i cant seem to install it onto my laptop....when i click run, it doesnt run...i have tried making it compatible to vista service pack 2 but it still wont work....pls help me!! thanks =]

Reaction score
HackShiled Intialization Error : 0x00000004(4)

Error occurs when the game client is executed in the Compatibility Mode provided by Windows XP. Game execution in Compatibility Mode is judged as a user with ill intentions, so program mast be ended restarted. (Value = 0x004) Please send the detailed information through. :pcguru: :banghead:

Reaction score
answer

I found an answer for those of us who still cant make maple story start. Make it to windows vista service pack 2 instead of windows xp sp3 the make it for all users and ur all set. worked for me :)

Reaction score
I am not using a private server. I'm on Maple Global :(
Oh well, hopefully Maple will work on the RC, don't wanna have to wait until the RTM.
Ahnlab hackshield seems to be blocking running in compatibility mode

Reaction score
I did the Global Maplestory one and when i clicked the Maplestory icon thingy on my desktop, it took me to http://maplestory.nexon.net/

Then I clicked Start Game and then i chose yes but then there was an error - It said:
[ ERROR CODE = -40 ]
Installation failed.(14402,32)

Please reply and tell me what to do

Reaction score
I did the Global Maplestory one and when i clicked the Maplestory icon thingy on my desktop, it took me to http://maplestory.nexon.net/

Then I clicked Start Game and then i chose yes but then there was an error - It said:
[ ERROR CODE = -40 ]
Installation failed.(14402,32)

Please reply and tell me what to do
Hi.. can anyone help? i have the same problem with Polyslime

Reaction score
I was having the same installation error, although this is not a fix, more of a workaround, it does allow gameplay under windows 7. I did all the compatibility things reccomended, then I went to the maplestory folder and ran Gamelauncher.exe, from there i could start the game without going through the website. Hope this helps

Reaction score
Maple Story on Windows 7Pro

Hi All,

I followed the below steps for MapleStory.exe... however..i also applied these steps to :

- GameLauncher.exe
- Patcher.exe
- Setup.exe

dont forget to click on "Change Settings for all users" and repeat the below steps as well

- cleared my IE explorer cache and all internet temp settings and data and history

then launched the game through the desktop icon...

no error messages....

I hope this helps...

Ok, so yes Maplestory does in fact work!
I'll show you the steps to getting it to work perfectly :)

For GMS Users (Global Maplestory):
Assuming you have GMS installed already, follow these steps:

First go to your Maplestory folder, the default location is C:\Nexon\Maplestory

Now right click on Maplestory.exe and the select Properties

The next step is to click on the Compatibility tab at the top

Then look at Run this program in compatibility mode for: then tick the box and select Windows XP SP3.

Now look a further down and look at the option Privilege Level tick the box in front of the words: Run this program as an administrator

Your screen should look like this if you have done it correctly:

Ok so now all you have to do is click Apply and then OK and you can start playing :) Happy Mapling!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For DXWnd users (The Private Server Community):

You will have to follow the same steps above for your server client, when you finish the instructions above then you can read on.

So assuming you have your Maplestory files and you have set your client to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 then read the following:

Warning: There is a BUG! You cannot have DXWnd and Internet Explorer open at the same time! Internet Explorer will stop working (just a freeze up). In order to get IE working again you must close out of DXWnd!

Ok, so basically you are going to do what you did for your server client. You must set the compatibility mode again. What you want to do first is go to your DXWnd folder

Then right click on dxwnd.exe and select properties

Next step is to go to the Compatibility tab and do the same thing you did with your server client:

Tick the first box and select Windows XP SP3 and then tick the box next to the words: Run this program as an administrator

It should look like so:

Once your window looks like that then click Apply and OK.

Next you will need to configure DXWnd.

So open up DXWnd.

Once it is open go to Edit>Add

This window will pop up:

First thing you need to do is find your client (which will be in your Maplestory folder if you extracted the client to the right place). Use the '...' to navigate to your client.

Now depending on which version of DirectX you have that is what you will choose.
The choice is only between DirectX8 and DirectX9. (Note that all newer model computers should use the option DirectX9)
Anything below those two choices will not work.

Once you choose the DirectX version, select OK.

Now DXWnd is configured! You can now start playing!

I hope this guide helped you guys out!

Happy Mapling!

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Can you provide solution for Maple Story SEA as I also facing compatibility issues.
The worse is I tried every single step in this or other forums, none of it work for me.
The BSOD still occurred.
Currently I using Window 7 Home Premium (32 bit) pre-installed window
With NVIDIA GeForce G105M (Latest version).

Reaction score
HI Everyone

Why so many people have the same issues downloading MS. My Windows 7 preinstalled work FINE at the begining playing it:D, (meaning i ignore the stupid sign about not compatibile) However when i installed AVG 8.5,:( MS kept on saying "Request Elevation"(I think updated stuff), I click proceed until its almost done, then pops up THREAT, then cannot finished installing, due to error 34, 30, 40:confused:. I think NEXON should upgrade their low-level junk to Windows 7,so we don't have all of these stupid annoying issue, with installing.:rolleyes: Weird I don't want to go back to Windows XP just to download DirectX9.1 geez.So I maybe getting rid of AVG 8.5 and going back to my original antivirus.:D Don't bother switching the improve stuff,to the low-level junk ok people.:confused:

Reaction score
Ok, i just have a quick question. Every time i start up it tells me it the program has known compatibility issues. But one the game loads up it plays fine. So my question is: can playing this game damage my laptop in anyway because of the compatibility issues?

Reaction score
Why so many people have the same issues downloading MS. My Windows 7 preinstalled work FINE at the begining playing it:D, (meaning i ignore the stupid sign about not compatibile) However when i installed AVG 8.5,:( MS kept on saying "Request Elevation"(I think updated stuff), I click proceed until its almost done, then pops up THREAT, then cannot finished installing, due to error 34, 30, 40:confused:. I think NEXON should upgrade their low-level junk to Windows 7,so we don't have all of these stupid annoying issue, with installing.:rolleyes: Weird I don't want to go back to Windows XP just to download DirectX9.1 geez.So I maybe getting rid of AVG 8.5 and going back to my original antivirus.:D Don't bother switching the improve stuff,to the low-level junk ok people.:confused:
I'm running AVG 9, i downloaded the game client from the site and did not get that request or have any problems with installing.

Reaction score
My AVG is updated as well My problem is this: I have set my compatibility to all windows xp service pack 3 and in order to play I continousoly have to install the same request over and over again i don't know why tho.

Nexon!
Request Elevation!!!
Yes or no/ Install or Cancel
Agree or Disagree
NGM .exe.(unkown file):dontknow:
the same stuff installed everytime /maplestorycab1 and cab2 what is this?

PLZ help me get rid of this:)

Reaction score
I haven't played maplestory in years so I made a new account. It says theres known compatibility issues but opens up fine, but when I select the type of character I want to make, it just closes. No warning, no explanation, nothing.

I have windows 7 home.

any suggestions?

Reaction score
OK

Windows 7 home is awesome. I now Mozilla fire fox latest version ok. I'm now going to try installing again Maple story and see what happens.If u guys use Internet Explorer any version take it off full of viruses.

I will reply back when i get in or if the SAME PROBLEM occurs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I cannot tell what version of Windows 7 the rest of you are using but it might be of note that Nate is running the 32-bit version of Win 7 - could make all the difference in the world.

Reaction score
LOL

I Don't get the difference between 16 bit or 32 bit lol. My Maple Story is now working, I'm so glad i can play it again. Funny my Internet Explorer had invisible virus in the program files which that's where iwas downloading MS. So I'm using Mozilla Fire Fox and it works fine lol. I let u guys know if something occurs again. Oh by the way if u have MS add me as buddy "SirLucsean" on Bellocan ok guys.

Reaction score
I am trying to make maplestory work on window 7, but I don't see the compatibility tab in maple story property. Can someone help me? I think that is why I have crash dump. Does anyone has that problem?

Reaction score

i have this problem any1 can help? i am playing maplesea and i done your method and it shows error code:-2147467259 (Unspecified error)

The picture not working =.=

Last edited:

Ask a Question