graphics & sounds driver problem

Reaction score
So I'll provide some history of my computer. I have an HP 660 120us 32 bit laptop with 3 gigs of ram and an AMD turion dual core rm 70. I originally got it as a vista about 1 year ago. Besides from the fact that vista was horrible things ran moderately well. I installed and uninstalled a lot of programs so my computer eventualy became slower, even with defrags. Come windows 7 time, I bought an upgrade disc (32bit) and decided to do a clean install to make my computer run as fast as possible. Install goes fine and I have a great new computer

This is where the problems start.
First of all, all swf's run horribly, whether It be things such as grooveshark, or flash games. (note flvs seem fine) no matter what browser or debugger I use to run flash it lags beyond all belief and is unbearable to play. (note cpu spikes to 90+ on whatever I'm using to run flash) All flash was fine in vista. I have a NVida 8200 M with the latest drivers, and have also tried the not up-to-date drivers supplied on Hp's website to no avail. I know there is something wrong because I can play half life 2 (for the most part) without lags ever. I have also noticed some lags with other games such as sauerbraten that were not previously there. (sorry if this should be in the gaming section, Im brand new to the forums and I think this relates to drivers most.

Next is my sound problem. Although somewhat rare, when the computer is running slow, the sound will break up and buzz loudly and become distorted. I also have the latest supported drivers from Hp's website, and have tried the brand new ones.

Lastly, this is less of a drivers problem, but while I had a 3.8 system rating on vista I now have 1.8 because of the processor. I do not know why this is true. What is even more ridiculous is that I installed windows 7 to a virtual hard drive with virtual box, (off the same disc my computer is now running on) ran the system rating a got a 2. something. Just wondering whats wrong.

If I could get any help it would mainly be on the swf problem. I paid good money for win 7 being I'm only 14 and I want these things to really work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, letting windows choose my drivers, contacted nvidia, used yahoo answers, and all to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
vergeltung, Welcome to the fourms! For a 14 year old, you type mighty good. One thing, on a virtual box, your score will be less than it will be on a regular install. The box doesn't use much RAM, if it did, the whole computer would be dragged down. But the main install of your computer, did you try a reinstall after things didn't go right? And did you backup your Vista drivers before installing Windows 7? Seems that if your computer was running fine with Vista, it should be running better with 7. What you can do is this, before doing anything else. Go the Driver Max (on the Web) and run a free scan, it will show you your current drivers, and the updated ones will be listed beside it. You can download two free drivers per day, you just have to register for it. I don't want you to spend any money that you don't have to. If most of your drivers are current, download the ones that aren't current. It's possible that you may need to reinstall. Check out that Driver Max scan and post back. I'm going to share this post with someone. It's most likely a minor problem. If you need any more help at all, please post back at once.

Reaction score
Here's what I got. These are the only ones without the latest drivers. The last two should fix the sound problem so I think I'll give those a go. Mouse is pointless, and I don't think that an updated wireless driver will help swf's. I wasn't smart and forgot to back up my drivers.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That may help fix the sound, I noticed the network drivers were not up to date also. But you should be able to obtain the latest drivers for all, if I'm not mistaken. The member I was going to get with on this is offline, I'm waiting for him. I've done the same thing before, not backing up my drivers, and had to search all over for them. That can be a pain in the butt. Post back if you need more assistance.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some issues here. (No pun intended.)

You may need to do a re-install of your OS. Perhaps not though.

Drivers should always be installed in this order:
1. Chipset Driver
2. Graphics Driver
3. Network Drivers
4. Sound Driver
5. Modem Driver
6. All remaining drivers.

Store the drivers on an external hard drive, thumb drive or a CD-RW disc.

Do you have the latest BIOS Firmware update?

For the latest nForce Chipset driver go to: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_win7_32bit_15.49.html

For the latest GeForce graphics driver go to: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winvista_win7_195.62_whql.html

The rest you can get from the respective websites.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I'm going to try as hard as I can not to have to reinstall my OS because I really don't want to do all the work that is included with it. But if worst comes to worst I'll try it. I do have the latest BIOS. Should I try uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them in the order you suggested?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That might be a start, if you're able to do it.

I wish you luck on this one.

Reaction score
So I decided to try this today, and after the time consuming, annoying process, the verdict was... No Improvement. Hope I dont have to reinstall...

Ask a Question