Win7 not recognizing GeForce GT635 graphics card

Reaction score
Recently upgraded to Win7 home premium from Vista (yes finally), graphics card working fine. After upgrading OS, Dell Vostro cannot recognize card , not shown in device mgr either, so will not let me add drivers obviously, or even GeForce Experience so it can auto-find drivers.
I have set BIOS so pc looks to pci-e card slot instead of onboard Intel graphics, and have set display adapter in device mgr to disabled. Tried to uninstall the Intel drivers, but Win7 keeps putting them back after restart, so disabled is best I can do. I have monitor plugged in to onboard monitor slot or I would only get black screen. When I boot up Win7, I get a message that it sees the new graphics card and tells me to shut down and plug monitor in to new card, or hit F1 to continue, which I do, with monitor connected to onboard port, but after bootup, still doesn't not show up in device mgr.

I cleaned all the contacts on graphics card with an eraser to be sure they are clean and make contact, and have reset card in slot numerous times to retry it. I went to Dell site to look for driver there, but everything they have for GT635 is for 64 bit, not 32 bit.

Really need some help on this one, thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you have a good reason to only run 32-bit (such as only 2GB or less of RAM, or the need to run many 16-bit programs, or a CPU that doesn't support it) then you probably would be best reinstalling W7 64-bit, especially if that is the only driver offered.

But you could try the NVidia driver updater.

Reaction score
Well, don't even know that I would be able to load the drivers for a 64 bit driver either, and the nVidia driver updater is called GeForce Experience as noted in my OP and it too says it won't load as it sees no compatible equipment, and shuts down. Seems to be a very common complaint at GeForce forums, but yet to find any working answer to any of them, besides update BIOS, and mine is newest Dell has, dated 2008.

I am beginning to think its maybe time for a new pc or tablet anyway.
Thank you for the response.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the card is not recognized at all then the problem may be further down the motherboard. For example you may need controller drivers first. Do you see any missing drivers in Device Manager? What is the make/model of your motherboard?

You mention BIOS settings, normally installation of a video card automatically disables the on-board graphics although the drivers stay installed, so I am wondering what you set in there. Any chance of a snapshot of the BIOS settings you mentioned?

Reaction score
the setting in BIOS was for video chipset to look to pci or onboard, I have seen a number of posts in forums on this, tho from personal experience, can say that in my case it seemed to work either way as that is how it is currently set, so must be like the settings for hdds or rom, et al :initial attempt. . The motherboard looks to be Foxconn G33M02, see no issues with anything in device mgr except this graphics card isn't listed, and the only thing that has changed, is the OS. The nVidia site says you need to uninstall old drivers before loading new ones, but on a clean install, there are no old drivers, which is why I tried disabling the onboard chipset, which didn't help, and I know its getting power as fan is running on card, and psu is new prior to new install of Win7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. If the hardware has not changed then you should not have had to change anything in the BIOS from when you ran it Vista. So are you saying you made a change recently or you just mentioned it is has always been set to PCI?

It looks like Foxxconn stopped supporting that MOBO at Vista but most of those drivers should still work in W7. I would probably try every driver on the Foxxcomm site for that MOBO to see if it made a difference, starting with the System & Chipset Drivers. As for the video driver, a default driver is included and automatically loaded with W7 for basic vga video so there would be that driver installed but you shouldn't need to uninstall it and it wouldn't change whether you can actually see the e card or not.

Reaction score
Yeah, I had it set to look to the pci first on old OS, and just left it that way. I have since, (last night) set it back to look first to onboard, no change tho in device mgr "seeing" it.

Memory (mine) not so good as I do remember I had a heck of a time installing it originally too, but cannot remember what specifically I did to get it working, and tech support is non existant. All I really want it for is its hdmi out for streaming to my hdtv lol.

Will ck foxconn and keep plugging away. The Dell site btw was not helpful at all as it wouldn't let me choose my OS as anything above Vista for selecting files. Guess since they sold me the pc with Vista, it was either that or XP lol.
Thanks again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well, as I said, that motherboard is only supported through Vista by Foxxcomm so Dell wouldn't have drivers to pass on from them. But most Vista drivers will probably work in W7. I recommend creating a restore point before you start installing Vista drivers; you should be able to just rollback the drivers but if you can't then just restore to that restore point.

Ask a Question