Getting WE folders to open maximized

Reaction score
Win 7 64 bit home. For some reason the OS has decided to open all folders in this size:

Capture.JPG

How do I get it to open ALL such windows maximized? Note that this occurs when clicking on an actual folder, as when it's sitting on the desktop, not a shortcut to a folder. The latter has a "Run size" setting under "properties", the former does not.

TIA
BMN

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows Explorer, by default opens in a window in the same size and location as it was last used (maximizing does not change this default size and location) ... so I do not know of a way to make it always open a window maximized but you can drag the corners and expand that little window to make it the size of your screen, and then close it. From then on as you open folders it should give you a big window each time, just not quite the same as maximized.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
On my computer, if I set a windows explorer to maximised, the next time I open it, the window will be maximised. Ditto any size to which I drag it.

But you refer to a "run size" in the properties. I have never seen that option. Are you using any third party program for that?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The OS is opening EVERY SINGLE new WE window in that absurd fully minimized sized. For example, when I run my scanner, the software for it will open a WE window with the .jpg the scanner has just produced, and it is fully minimized. Is there no way to get the OS to just open ALL such windows full screen? This really is a PITA.

Thanks again,

BMN

Reaction score
On my computer, if I set a windows explorer to maximized, the next time I open it, the window will be maximized. Ditto any size to which I drag it.

But you refer to a "run size" in the properties. I have never seen that option. Are you using any third party program for that?
But I'm finding that it only now opens THAT WE window maximized. I have to reset EACH window.

Here's an image of the size option dialog from a shortcut to a WE folder. Shortcuts to applications have the same options. Double click to see a larger image:

Cap.JPG

Interestingly, a "normal" window is NOT maximized.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I tested what Dave said and if I close the window maximized then it does in fact reopen maximized but it still remembers the old window size * position if I restore it to normal too.

It sounds like maybe you have yours set to "open each folder in its own window" and I always have mine set to reuse the same window so it's possible that that difference makes yours remember the settings for each folder.

So maybe try this ... Close all but one window and then size it and then maximize it too. Now go to Tools > Folder Options ... View Tab ... click "Apply to folders". Now I don't know if that will fix window locations going forward or not but it's worth a shot.

And Normal is not maximized because maximized is NOT a window, a window has panes (edges). Maximized is full screen, it has control and you cannot see any windows at all.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I see. You are talking about desktop shortcuts to windows explorer folders!
Try an adaption to what TM has suggested. Adjust the window to the size you need, with the corner arrows. Hold CTRL and , in "File" close the window. See if that does the trick.
Alternatively, (I don't know if this will resolve your problem), instead of having shortcuts to various folders, drag and copy them to the desktop.

Ask a Question