Free space getting sucked up.

Reaction score
We have two computers running Win7 - 64 bit; one a desktop, the other a laptop. The desktop has two physical hard drives; one is designated (C) for Windows and Programs and (D) for data. I have the single laptop drive separated into two partitions - (C) and (D) with same functions as the desktop. They are both experiencing a similar problem. The (C) drive on both will begin to show a greatly diminished amount of free space on the drive. I've explored every folder, including hidden and protected, and can find nothing out of the ordinary. My cure is to run a restore from a recent backup of the drive. When the operation has completed, the (C) drive will show an increase of 40-60 GB of free space. Whatever the problem is, the backup operation is not seeing it. Anyone out there with ideas?? Thanks!!

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and discovered a massive amount of space being taken up by temp files. When I dumped them (successfully), it eliminated EIGHTY gig of temp files!!!! There is a SW called "Tree Size (Free)" that I downloaded to get a clear image of the sizes and locations of all of my directories. Highly recommended! I then searched for temp and began eliminating. As of this writing, I do not recall the directory that held the 80 GB but will try to return to this forum later this week to add to my answer. Good luck.

Reaction score
I also have this problem. I already did disk clean up and uninstalled some unnecessary applications but space is still getting sucked up even when I don't download anything! My laptop is an HP Stream 13 :/

Reaction score
See above. From what I understand, downloads are not the only way that space in taken up in Windows.
Windows does a great job cataloguing data for quick access at a future time but it overdoes it as well. Go into your temp folders, as mentioned above and delete the files. Pay attention though to temp folders where you get a Windows message that the files are needed for system. Don't trash those.. Otherwise 99.99% of the temp folders take up, unnecessarily, tons and tons of valuable space.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Much of the space may be taken by hidden files you cannot even see. My best recommendation is to download & install the freeware product CCleaner (See our Freeware DB). CCleaner is great at identifying files that are safe to remove.

Reaction score
Thank you, really helpful! Was able to delete unnecessary garbage apps pre-installed before buying it.

Ask a Question