Having issues getting sound to work in Visual Studio, maybe due to some driver missing

Reaction score
Hello

I posted the following on Visual Studio´s community and was told that maybe it would be better to post it here instead. I think it is driver related, but I´m not sure. If some moderator feels like there is a better home for this thread, please move it there.

Here is my issue, it consists of my original post, a reply and another post by me. Any input is much appreciated :

I am trying to get sound into my project, but I am getting an "mf.dll missing"-error and some reference to media foundation. I am running Windows 7 Professional N, and was informed when chatting with Microsoft support that this might be the issue. So I downloaded the media foundation pack, even though I didn´t really want to : I did install Windows 7 N for a reason. But when I try to install it, I get a message saying "this update is not applicable on your computer". Has anyone else come across this issue, and/or knows a solution?

Edit : I´m using MonoGame within VS btw

>>>>Hi Buffelapa,

>>>>>>I am running Windows 7 Professional N, and was informed when chatting with Microsoft support that this might be >>>>the issue.

>>>>It seems like the issue is not related to your VS 2015 Community. It is more related to your windows system? Am I right?

>>>>>>I did install Windows 7 N for a reason. But when I try to install it, I get a message saying "this update is not >>>>applicable on your computer".

>>>>I did a research for the error message, and I found a possible workaround for your reference:
>>>(not allowed to post links but ends in) kb/3057448

>>>>In addition, Since Our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual >>>>Studio tools.

>>>>For your issue, I suggest you'd better post it to the Windows forum for better support.

>>>>Thanks for your understanding.

>>>>Best Regards,

Hello, and thanks for your answer.

It´s true that it seems to be a Windows-based problem, however I only have issues with audio in Virtual Studio, all other programs have no problems. Listening to music, watching movies, playing games and any other form of sound I can think of is working perfectly.

It´s quite frustrating since I´m working on a project this entire semester, where we will be doing a game in MonoGame, and of course I, due to Murphy´s Law, am responsible for audio...

When I transfer the project to my desktop at home it works like a charm, so it´s not the code. So it is some files missing on this laptop, files that I can not install for unknown reasons. Does anyone know if there is a workaround when it comes to the windows media feature pack? I mean, if it wont install, is there somewhere I can get the parts "out of the box" as in not in the executable from Microsoft that wont install, and then manually put them where they need to be?

I checked the link you posted, and the error message there is the same as the one I get, but there isn´t really a solution providing any way to fix it.

Ps.

If any moderator feels this would fit better in some other section of the forum, please feel free to move it there.

Ds.

Ask a Question