Getting more and more members

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, Windows 7 is a great OS, one that in time will make history as XP did, only greater. I have noticed in my time here that the forum has grown some. More and more new members show up here daily. I try to welcome as many as possible, but if I sat here and did that all day, I'd never get anything done. That is what started this thread, the membership numbers rising. And it is happening, even as I'm typing. How many people can the servers here handle? Looks like we're going to need them.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Funny how an operating system can bring people together. :)
Yes, an OS can bring people together, as well as a lot of other things (some good, some bad). I like to see people brought together on issues, rather than fighting and division. And not just computing, that's a luxury in life to some. There's still those that put down computers, saying they'll never use them, but indirectly we all use them. Clocking in at work, banking, your cable and all of your bills are handled by computers. But trying to explain this to some is like talking to a rock, and contrary to what a lot of people believe, it's not all older people. A lot of middle age people (my age group) feels this way, too. But I love my computers, and I love helping others to resolve their problems, if I can do so. I'm disabled, and it makes me feel like I'm still useful, and get to socialize (I'm homebound as well) with others. Yesterday, I felt bad, and had little time to be here. I just take it one day at a time, and don't worry about the things I can't change. I guess that I better stop, because I don't want to be flagged as off topic

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
catilley wrote

Windows 7 is a great OS, one that in time will make history as XP did, only greater
I agree with you 100% catilley And thanks to Ian and staff users of this new OS can enjoy membership in Windows 7 Forums ... and thats :cool:.

Reaction score
Yes, an OS can bring people together, as well as a lot of other things (some good, some bad). I like to see people brought together on issues, rather than fighting and division. And not just computing, that's a luxury in life to some. There's still those that put down computers, saying they'll never use them, but indirectly we all use them. Clocking in at work, banking, your cable and all of your bills are handled by computers. But trying to explain this to some is like talking to a rock, and contrary to what a lot of people believe, it's not all older people. A lot of middle age people (my age group) feels this way, too. But I love my computers, and I love helping others to resolve their problems, if I can do so. I'm disabled, and it makes me feel like I'm still useful, and get to socialize (I'm homebound as well) with others. Yesterday, I felt bad, and had little time to be here. I just take it one day at a time, and don't worry about the things I can't change. I guess that I better stop, because I don't want to be flagged as off topic
I don't think you are necessarily off topic, because the notion that you bring up regarding the role that computers play in society seems to directly stem from a discussion of why we might be gaining more members here.

Take my dad, for instance. He's been known to say that computers are -- to him -- literally useless, and that apart from having to use one at work, why would anyone need one at home. I think he sometimes has a hard time understanding the value of a PC as a communication tool and a creativity device. But he's starting to come around -- he loves his digital camera, and as the old saying goes, "I wish I had a dollar" for every time he's asked me to look up something online. :)

I actually want to reach out to others this way and touch people's lives; think of how much knowledge and wisdom we are sharing and spreading by allowing this medium to grow. And I can do it at my own convenience and in the privacy of my own home.

As for my dad, don't get me wrong -- I love the guy. But he can be a little old school. And maybe he just hates to see me curse when my PC gives me problems. ;)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I don't think we have to worry too much about going off-topic in the off-topic discussion area, LOL

I have to agree with what has been said about computers and forums. I tend to feel like I'm speaking to someone who lives just down the block from me then I look under their name and see many different provinces, states and countries all represented here and it makes the huge world just a little smaller and mostly friendlier

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I love this forum. One of the best I have encountered. Not a techie here, but was able to do a clean install of win 7 Home premium x64 and all the necessary drivers and software with a lot of help from members here. And a special thanks to Ian.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The membership (or at least visitors) must be growing, because a night or two ago, I couldn't get on here. I don't know if the server(s) were overloaded, or there was a technical problem. But I have noticed the growth here, and it's growing by the day. I'm glad to see it because it expands our knowledge base. Many are looking to solve problems, and that's what we're here for. And there are those with many years of experience on their resume joining, too. That's good, too, for we need all of the knowledge we can get. No single person knows it all, when one develops that attitude, they soon learn they know nothing. We all need one another, that's what the forum is here for. To make every effort to help everyone in need, to the best of our abilities. That's what we're here for. I'm proud to be a part of this forum, and hope to be here many years. Thanks to Ian and the moderators here, they are good, knowledgeable people. I would imagine that a moderator has a tough job at times, they have to referee the forum, as well as helping others. That's no easy task, for they probably have to work a job and tend to the forum, too. That's another thing I like about being here, there's not a lot of bickering and out of control threads. This is a wonderful place to be, and I hope it stays that way.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That is an excellent post Catilley, and I fully endorse your comments. Your last two sentences are a punch line for me.
I am very active on two other sites (under another "nic") and for some indetermined reason, the "flaming" and bickering is very noticeably on the increase., to the point on one site, where I have decided to quit.
One issue not mentioned. Not membership, but post counts. Over any given period, the count on the referred to site is three times what it would be here but, if I filter out there, so called, chat forum and a couple of other superfluous forums on the site, the figure is directly comparitive. ( The chat forum, full of total rubbish,mostly links to another site, account for more than 65% of their total posts)
One of the delights, to me, of this site is that, so far, it is very much dedicated to Windows 7. The chat forum is varied and is, just that!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm also a member on three other sites, PC World, Tom's Computing Net, another Windows 7 forum site that I actually by accident clicked onto that has a similar name, but it's larger (as of November). That's the last time I was on there. PC world is a TON of bickering, but I find many useful articles and tips there, plus you can view a lot of the latest tech trends and PC & OS tips & tricks. Tom's, many useful posts, covering all OS's, but some bickering, too. But there, you can find many articles pertaining to older computers and OS's. And I'm also a member of a health forum, being chronically ill, I seek advice with coping and help others cope as well. And to be truthful about it, that's my favorite forum. Having someone to turn to means a lot to sick people and their families. But as far as a computing forum, this one here is the best. I enjoy being a part of it, and it takes my mind off of the sometimes crippling pain that I live with every day. My condition is getting worse by the day, I'm having a bout with pneumonia now. But I do try to keep a good outlook in life, and do my best to accomplish something everyday. If I answer a post here and it helps someone, it makes me still feel useful. But I'm getting off of here, I don't want to confuse the original poster. I do want to see this forum continue to grow, because I want Windows 7 to grow, and I want to see it outdo XP. I believe it will.

Ask a Question