Full desktop customization!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Check out the screenshots of my new desktop!

w7_desktop1.jpg
w7_desktop2.jpg
w7_desktop3.jpg

If you like it, here's how I did it.

1. Download, install, and run RocketDock and the Stacks Docklet.
2. Get the Leopard Background and set it as your background pic.
3. Right-Click desktop>View>Uncheck "Show Desktop Icons".
4. Move the taskbar to the top of your screen.
5. Download and install Taskbar Hide, then fire it up and hit CTRL+T to hide the taskbar, now minimize it.

Now, you are pretty much done except you might need some instruction with RocketDock. So here we go.

Stacks Docklet

1. Extract the folder into the "Docklets" folder of wherever you choose to install RocketDock.
2. To add stack docklets, right-click the dock (anywhere will be fine) and point to "Add Item", then at the bottom of the list should be "Stack Docklet". You can add as many as you want,
3. Next, Right-Click the stack icon on your dock and select "Icon Settings". You may now select a path and an icon and start replacing the empty "My Documents" and "My Music" folders! :)

Dock Themes and other Settings

1. If you didn't remove it, there should be an icon that says "Dock Settings..." Click it. If you did remove it, just Right-Click anywhere on the dock and select "Dock Settings".
2. Themes are under "Style", I'm using "WhiteCrystal". You can choose to minimize apps to the dock in the "General" tab, and zoom amount and width in the "Icons" tab.

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sweet as all, is the curving icons in pic 3 like the sliding windows ???? do they scroll ?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
That is the Stacks docklet, you link it to a folder then when you click on the icon, that pops up. I'll make a little example of the functionality of this setup then post it in a few.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How much of a hit to the system is this configuration?

Looks cool!

So now a Mac user can feel right at home while running awesome OS software.:p

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
It's not much hit at all, except for the RAM, but that's always usually high. I haven't noticed any speed difference.

Note to anyone: If you have done this, feel free to experiment around with different dock skins and backgrounds, etc. Post a screenshot!

Reaction score
It's not much hit at all, except for the RAM, but that's always usually high. I haven't noticed any speed difference.

Note to anyone: If you have done this, feel free to experiment around with different dock skins and backgrounds, etc. Post a screenshot!
Thanks for the reply. I'll play around with things for a couple of days and post the results. :cool:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Alright! Cool! :D

Hey everyone, check out these new shots! I'm using a program called Deskspace.

New dock skin with some different icons too! :D :D

Here's a video showing the functionality. It's a little choppy. It's on my friend's account and watch it in fullscreen with HD on for best quality. (wow, my grammar died)

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]BUf-7_uKkzk[/MEDIA]"]Cool Desktop Setup[/ame]

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
dude this iz cool... im gonna try it. i love macs but windows 7 is cool to.

Reaction score
I just tried out Betaman's orignal idea, it works great! I'm gonna fiddle around and see how mac-esque I can make it!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Looks very nice :cool:, i have used Mac OS X Tiger in the past, a very nice OS but not had a go at Leopard.

Reaction score
A quick tip for anyone wanting to try this out:

If you restart you're computer, even if you've tick "Start when I log on", Rocket Dock may still not start, as it did with me. If this is the case, go Start> Computer> Right click> Manage> Task Scheduler> Create Basic Task. The rest is very easy, simply set it up to start Rocket Dock when you log on.

Reaction score
Been using RocketDock along with Rainlender and Yahoo Widgets for a few years now.
- RocketDock: a) has a Control Panel Icon that essentially gives you God Mode; b) makes even old icons look updated, once they're dragged to the dock; c) settings give you a lot of control.
- Rainlender: a) has several included skins and more available for DL; b) matching Task and Event panes/settings are very customizable.
- Yahoo Widgets: I only use a couple ( Analog Clock and Weather ) but they make the MS Gadgets look amateurish by comparison. More customizable, too.

Edit: Be careful when clicking on the Dock icons! It's easy to drag one off the bar. Once off the bar, it disappears and doesn't go to the Recylce BIn. You'll have to re-create the shortcut on your desktop, and re-drag to the bar. Any arguments required will have to be re-entered in the respective icon's settings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Been using RocketDock along with Rainlender and Yahoo Widgets for a few years now.
- RocketDock: a) has a Control Panel Icon that essentially gives you God Mode; b) makes even old icons look updated, once they're dragged to the dock; c) settings give you a lot of control.

Edit: Be careful when clicking on the Dock icons! It's easy to drag one off the bar. Once off the bar, it disappears and doesn't go to the Recylce BIn. You'll have to re-create the shortcut on your desktop, and re-drag to the bar. Any arguments required will have to be re-entered in the respective icon's settings.
Does Rocket Dock not have a lock to prevent dragging icons off the dock?

Reaction score
Yes, it does.
In the Dock Settings>General tab, the last checkbox. I should have mentioned it. :eek:

Thanks for bring it to our attention. :)

Reaction score
I use Rocket Dock and Rainmeter in XP and will be using them in W7 as soon as I do my new build...with all the different configs, they make for a unique desktop!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This topic rears it's head from time to time. As stated before, I seldom am in a situation, where , what I can see of my desktop, is of great concern. Obviously many users like to use it as a graphic display!

This is mine. You can see, perhaps, why I am for the moment not too excited about the new Windows 8 desktop!!!

Later. I did delete a three personal link icons before capturing the picture, as they were private.

View attachment 3451

Last edited:
Reaction score
What on earth would i need this for when the windows taskbar does the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question