C: Drive full!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Support' started by FlyNAVY, Apr 8, 2017.

1. FlyNAVY

FlyNAVY

Computer in question here is a Toshiba laptop running Win7 64 bit. It has a single 500GB hard drive which I have split into two partitions: C: for the OS and all programs, and D: for data files, such as pics, docs, etc.
    The C: partition is about 160 GB, of which less than 90 GB is used, leaving about 70 GB free. Problem is that occasionally, the C: drive will show redline with only about 10 GB free. I've searched every folder and file in C: drive to find what is taking up to much space, but have found no culprit. Short of performing a recovery from backup (which works), is there another way get this partition back to normal level of about 70 GB free? Performing a recovery will lose recent e-mails, which are stored on C: drive. Thanks!

FlyNAVY, Apr 8, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. FlyNAVY

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

I would try a product like CCleaner and see if it can free up the space when C: shows as full

TrainableMan, Apr 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. FlyNAVY

FlyNAVY

Thanks for your reply. I've already tried CCleaner but problem remains.

FlyNAVY, Apr 10, 2017
  4. FlyNAVY

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

Then it may be hidden system files, for example if you have windows 7 backup enabled and going to C: it will eventually fill the entire drive. On a drive that small you definitely don't want backups on C:

TrainableMan, Apr 11, 2017
  5. FlyNAVY

John700

You can use tools like SpaceSniffer to try and find what file/directory is taking most space

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2017
    John700, Jun 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question