From 32 bit vista to 64 bit windows7

Reaction score
My computer is an Asus, 1 1/2 years old, and meets the requirements to run a 64-bit windows 7. I currently have a 32bit vista and I purchased the official windows 7 64-bit disc. I want a custom installation of windows 7 because I read that a 32-bit Vista can't upgrade to the 64-bit windows 7; it can only custom install. I have downloaded the files required: setup1.box, setup2.box, and expandedsetup. Inside the expanded setup folder, i clicked on setup to try to get the installation process started; however, i got the error box saying "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher." Since this didn't work, I tried starting up the computer with the windows 7 disc inside, but the computer starts up normally as if the disc isn't there. When I try opening the disc drive through "Computer", an error message pops up saying "this installation disc isn't compatible with your version of windows....." Please help me!!!! :(

Reaction score
Hi Keripie - Welcome to w7forums

You will need to press F1 or Del at boot and enter the system BIOS. From the Boot tab set the DVD drive first in the boot order.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Keripie - Welcome to w7forums

You will need to press F1 or Del at boot and enter the system BIOS. From the Boot tab set the DVD drive first in the boot order.
thanks for the quick reply. I entered the BIOS mode upon startup, but i'm not sure where to go to set the boot order. I have the following options shown:

repair mode
enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement

Please tell me which one of those i should click on. thanks.

Reaction score
I made a mistake and had to edit my first post.

I posted F8 at first which is where you went. Those are startup option not the system BIOS. You should be able to enter the system BIOS by pressing the F1 or Del Key while the computer is booting.

Reaction score
I made a mistake and had to edit my first post.

I posted F8 at first which is where you went. Those are startup option not the system BIOS. You should be able to enter the system BIOS by pressing the F1 or Del Key while the computer is booting.
Sorry.. my computer IQ is pretty low. I ran into another problem... i pressed f1 and now i'm at the windows boot manager, this is the BIOS, right? I have 2 options: Microsoft windows vista, or Windows memory diagnostic. Are either of these correct? I don't want to press anything to mess up my computer so I want to make sure im at the right spot. THANKS!

Reaction score
Thats not the right place either.

Try it again with the Del Key.

Meantime I will search for the Key needed so if the Del Key doesn't work maybe I will know by then exactly which one it is.

What is the Model of your Computer?

Reaction score
Thats not the right place either.

Try it again with the Del Key.

Meantime I will search for the Key needed so if the Del Key doesn't work maybe I will know by then exactly which one it is.

What is the Model of your Computer?
The del key was the same thing as F1. my model is asus f8sn

Reaction score
IT WORKS! im on the setup :). sorry, last question i promise. It asks where do you want to install windows? partition 1 (recovery): 7.8gb total size, 769mb free space, type- primary. Partition2 (vistaOS): 116.4gb size, 4.3gb free space, type- system. partition3 (data) 108.6gb size, 84.6gb free space, type- logical.

thanks for all your help :D

Reaction score
Partition 2 would be the partition you want to install to. This will replace Vista and place all Vista Files in a Windows.old folder which you can delete later.

There is a better option though, that would be to use the advanced options and format the vista partition before installing. Please make sure you have all your data before doing this.

One final thought, if you have problems installing. The recovery partition may have to be deleted. But lets not worry about that unless you have problems.

Reaction score
It wouldn't allow me to install it to partitions 1 in 2. only 3 worked, so i did that one before i read your post. The first 4 of 5 checkmarks worked: copyin windows files, expanding windows files, installing features, installing updates. However, the completing installation part failed. I got an error message saying "windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed." :( What do you suggest that I do?

Reaction score
Try formating partition 2 and then installing to partition 2.

If you don't have anything you wish to save, delete all partition then create one partition for the install. After creating, you must format the partition.

Reaction score
If it doesn't take too much time, can you please explain or post a good link stating how to format partition 2 or creating a new one? I tried googling it, but I can't find an article clear enough for me to understand. I already backed up all the data that I want in a flash drive, so I don't mind if all my current data is deleted.

Ask a Question