Migrate from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Useful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I have a HCL Netbook with a 32 bit Intel 800 MHz Processor, 2 GB RAM and Windows Vista Home Premium.

If I migrate to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, will it increase speed, stability, available apps esp Antivirus, Flash Player, Video downloading etc.,

Can some good souls guide me in detail, before I jump from frying pan to fire, pls?

Gazillion Thanx in advance!:confused:

Reaction score
Hi logamuthu - Welcome to w7forums

Is there a specific reason why you have chosen to install Windows 7 Ultimate?

I'm currently satisfied with Windows 7 Home Premium. :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi logamuthu - Welcome to w7forums

Is there a specific reason why you have chosen to install Windows 7 Ultimate?

I'm currently satisfied with Windows 7 Home Premium. :)
Agreed!
Though, if you want a maximum features, Pro is best. Ultimate only has more languages, bit locker and other things you'll never need, all of this at a high price.

Hum... I found that Windows 7 is indeed faster, but some members may disagree. It's definitly more stable, and you shouldn't have any problems with apps (though, check) and if you did, you could run them in XP Mode.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? 800 MHz processor?

I suppose if Vista can run on that, then surely 7 ought to, but I'd rather spend the money on new iron.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Looking at their site, the new netbooks have the Intel Atom 1.6GHZ processors. Yet they only offer XP with no apparent upgrade option. I could be wrong about this but it's not obvious.

Did you install Vista yourself? I agree that Win7 should work better than Vista, but may not perform up to your expectations.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at their site, the new netbooks have the Intel Atom 1.6GHZ processors. Yet they only offer XP with no apparent upgrade option. I could be wrong about this but it's not obvious.

Did you install Vista yourself? I agree that Win7 should work better than Vista, but may not perform up to your expectations.
My notebook used to have XP,with an Intel Atom @1.60Ghz. I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium and haven't had any problems, but it really runs at the limit of performance.
So you should seiously consider a processor upgrade if possible, ifyou have that 800Mhz Processor.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
He's using a Netbook people! It's limited in it's hardware in a lot of ways. Personally I wouldn't use a netbook, they're only good for surfing the web, that's why they're called netbooks.

Adding Windows 7 in lieu of Vista would probably speed things up most definitely.

He certainly doesn't need Ultimate edition for sure, since it is a netbook the Home Premium would definitely be his best choice as c_c recommended.

The extra features of Professional and Ultimate would be superfluous in a netbook.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
but I'd rather spend the money on new iron.
Steam with Auto-shutoff? LOL!

One question I have is, what's the purpose of the poll? The questions are... ?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Steam with Auto-shutoff? LOL!
?

I guess the Finnish colloquialism doesn't translate too well into English. I didn't mean an iron, I just meant hardware.

Ask a Question