Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Reaction score
I need some help and I'm hoping there is someone who will read this and offer me some.

I have to update my Vista computer as Google Chrome is telling me that soon I won't be receiving any more Chrome updates because service will be stopping on Vista. According to the advisor I can do an upgrade using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and in that way keep my settings, programs, etc.

The only thing mentioned in the advisor that concerns me is that I have Windows Live Mail 2011 and I'm wondering if that will remain in place after the update. I do have an external hard drive to which I save the whole program on about once a month, or more. I also have a Windows 7 laptop with Windows Live Mail 2011 on it.

Also, they say I have to have the latest driver for Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection. I am told to download it and then install it AFTER installing Windows 7. I went to Intel site and they have a tool called DriverUpdate-Setup that they say will make sure you get the correct driver, so I assume I would run that after Installing Windows 7.

Where do I get a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit to use for this? I thought it was free and I could download it online somewhere so I guess I was pretty naive.

I've been Googling and I read this:
Buy an upgrade license
If the PC on which you want to install Windows 7 originally included a license for any version of Windows, you can buy a Windows 7 upgrade license from any vendor that has the software in stock and install that upgrade on your PC.

But I still have no idea where to go to get this, and at the least expense for me. If expense was no object I'd just take it to a computer shop, but it is, and also we are 100 miles away from the nearest computer shop.

I see that Amazon has some Windows programs, but I am not sure what I'm looking for. They have this listing but it says for Refurnished PC Installation. Would that preclude me from using it on my desktop?
And does the fact that it's SP1 whereas my Vista is SP2 mean anything?
Would this allow me to obtain my Windows Updates?

Reaction score
I'm amazed that I never got one single response to this ... So I guess there's no sense in asking any more questions.

Ask a Question