64bit Vista to 32bit Win7

Reaction score
Hi All:

First, I JUST found this forum and am thankful for finding it. I just purchased a laptop (HP) that came with Vista home 64 bit edition. I also purchased a 32 bit PRO version of Win7.

My question. Will I run into any problems updating the 64bit Vista with the 32bit Win7? I opted for win7 after reading about driver compatibilities with 64 bit versions.

Thanks All........Hope to hear before I stick the Win7 disk in the drive and 'go for broke".

=Dave=

Reaction score
Hi resorts - Welcome to w7forums

Is there a reason why you are choosing to downgrade from 64-Bit to 32-Bit.

I am currently using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit which will run both 32-Bit and 64-Bit applications. The 32-Bit version will only use around 3.2GB of memory. I will continue to try influencing people to make the switch and force software makers to support 64-Bit.

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff:

I agree we could "convince" manufacturers to upgrade all drivers BUT, In the meantime I didn't want to run across problems until they do. I read everywhere about driver and/or software incompatibility and the last thing I needed was half my software not working.

My concern was installing the 32bit win7 over the Vista 64bit version. Will it install correctly? I'm MORE than willing to upgrade my Win7 32 to 64 once I'm sure all my drivers & software work :)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Actually, I have the Win7 DVD in the drive and am about to press "enter".....Am I safe? It's a brand new Laptop so nothing to lose!!! Later I have tons of software to "move" onto it.

Thanks again
=Dave R.=

Reaction score
UGH !!! No, I didn't know I couldn't do an "Upgrade". The system didn't come with re-install disks and in order to do a system backup it needs DVD-R's or CD-R's (will NOT work with DVD or CD RW). Of course, all I have in house is RW disks!!

What happens if I try an "upgrade" instead of "clean install"?

Also, It's telling me to update or remove the "Keyboard filter" (drivers?). The SW or HW control panel does not show any "Keyboard FILTER". Any idea what that is?

Am I asking for trouble trying an UPGRADE instead of CLEAN install?

THANKS for saving my tail !!!

=Dave=

Reaction score
Changing Bit versions will not allow upgrade. There is too many differences in the code. It would seem you need the 64-Bit upgrade disk for the in-place install. You may can contact your manufacturer to see if they can send a 32-Bit version for that PC then you could do the upgrade install.

I would also like to mention that allot of problems people run into are from trying the upgrade instead of a clean install. The upgrade seems to cause more problems that are harder to fix. There has been successfully upgrades though.

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and went to Wally world and picked up some DVD+R's. I'm going to create the set of system recovery disks before trying the win7 32bit Install. I just couldn't take the chance of upgrading with no recourse :). Then I'll try the clean/new install. Wish me luck.

=Dave=

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
resorts wrote
I also purchased a 32 bit PRO version of Win7
You should have no problems performing a clean install of Windows 7 32bit on your Computer, Windows 7 32bit will only see 3gb RAM even if the Computer has more.

Ask a Question