Upgrading from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm hoping some of you gurus out there can help me with my transition from Windows Vista 32 to 7 64bit. I have run the compatibility tool on Microsoft's website and everything is fine there.

This is a photoediting machine for our photography business and Vista 32bit has been a nightmare. So we want to upgrade to 7 64bit. We have an external hard drive and two internal harddrives. My question is, do I need to reformat all the harddrives or just the drive that Windows 7 will be running on?

Anything else we need to consider before making the jump to a 64bit computer? Does the Microsoft compatibiolity checker check everything like: motherboard, ram, harddrive, optical drives, graphics card, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a guru, but make sure the drivers needed are x64 compatible. JMHO

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Mr Intuition :)

You can get away with formatting only the main hard drive that Windows resides on, as long as there are no installed applications on the other drives (in which case you may want to).

If your system can run Vista then it will be able to run Windows 7. Plus, the compatibility checker does a good job at detecting hardware problems (usually!). :)

Reaction score
My question is, do I need to reformat all the harddrives or just the drive that Windows 7 will be running on?
Only the one you intend on installing Windows too. You can dis-connect the drive you are not installing to. This might make things easier for you.

And Kalario is correct all your hardware must have 64-Bit drivers to function in the 64-Bit OS.

If you have hardware that only has 32-Bit drivers. There is three option.
  1. Stay with XP or Vista (However Vista drivers usually work in Win7)
  2. Use XP Mode that comes with Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit an greater OS.
  3. Install Windows 7 32-Bit which could still have compatibility issues with older hardware.

Reaction score
Great! THanks so much for your help guys. I will start checking to see what is available for drivers. If any of you know for sure whether or not these are compatible, here is what I have:
mobo: Asus P5KC
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5770
DVD: Optiarc AD7191s drives
HDD: Seagate Sata II

Reaction score
Great! THanks so much for your help guys. I will start checking to see what is available for drivers. If any of you know for sure whether or not these are compatible, here is what I have:
mobo: Asus P5KC
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5770
DVD: Optiarc AD7191s drives
HDD: Seagate Sata II
These items are good to go as far as I know.

Do you have any Scanners or Printers that will require 64-Bit drivers to function?

Reaction score
Thanks - Printers/Scanners

I have a few cheap printers hooked up, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't work. It would be the excuse I need to get a new one!

I am looking at getting a new router though. I'm probably going to get a Linksys WRT610n v 2.

Oh yea, and we just got a Wacom table and Logitech wireless Keyboard. Other than that, I don't think we have much else hooked up...

Even if I canm't get 64bit drivers, can't I just run in 32bit mode?

Reaction score
ONe last question...

I bought a custom built computer from compudirect and had them put a vista 32bit on there. I now want to get rid of it and use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

My question is, should I get the upgrade or the full retail version? Is there a difference?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am sure your system will handle the 64 bit, you can use the "upgrade" version, but you'll have to do a clean or "custom" install as MS calls it.

It's not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Only a fresh install will work for you.

Make sure you have all the 64 bit drivers for your hardware; mobo, printer, video card, etc.

Reaction score
I am sure your system will handle the 64 bit, you can use the "upgrade" version, but you'll have to do a clean or "custom" install as MS calls it.

It's not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Only a fresh install will work for you.

Make sure you have all the 64 bit drivers for your hardware; mobo, printer, video card, etc.

Thanks Nibiru, I was hoping you would say that. So as far as features are concerned, the upgrade version is really no different than the full retail version?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru, I was hoping you would say that. So as far as features are concerned, the upgrade version is really no different than the full retail version?
No difference, just the installation process.

Reaction score
wooohooo! Thanks everyone!!!

Last question...any suggestions on reputable software retailers with the best pricing?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Actually the install process is exactly the same since you're having to do a clean install.

BTW, I love your moniker... Mr. Intuition! Sounds like you should have a radio show or cable TV program!:)

I am assuming you don't have the Windows 7 yet.

• Do you want to purchase from a local supplier in your area?
  • Do you want to purchase online?
  • Do you want to have support from Microsoft?
If there is a Frys Electronics in your area, go there, they have very good prices on Windows 7.

If you want to purchase online then I would use either Newegg.com or Amazon.com.

Both will give you free shipping!

Reaction score
Actually the install process is exactly the same since you're having to do a clean install.

BTW, I love your moniker... Mr. Intuition! Sounds like you should have a radio show or cable TV program!:)

I am assuming you don't have the Windows 7 yet.

• Do you want to purchase from a local supplier in your area?
  • Do you want to purchase online?
  • Do you want to have support from Microsoft?
If there is a Frys Electronics in your area, go there, they have very good prices on Windows 7.

If you want to purchase online then I would use either Newegg.com or Amazon.com.

Both will give you free shipping!
Thanks for the compliments on my name Nibiru. Being a student of Philsophy in college, this seemed quite fitting since I see myself as a rationalist more than an empiricist.
Anyhow, yes, there is a Frys in Indianapolis. I do like Newegg but found they are offering the W7 for 199...which isn't too bad. As for Amazon, I don't like how I have very little recourse with them. We bought our monitor through them (NEC Multisync LCD2490WUXi) and had some issues when the product listing was wrong (tigerdirect). No one wanted to accept blame. Anyhow, I'll check out those places and see what kind of deals I can find. Thanks again for your help my friend. I'm sure I will be back on this board with more questions once I actually get it installed. I'm SO ready to get rid of Vista!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Mr. I,

I was going to ask... do you want Windows 7 Ultimate because of the "BitLocker" feature or because of the name?

You can use Professional and save quite a bit more money and the difference in features is not that significant.

Reaction score
I guess just because we have it on the laptop and am used to it. We don't use the bitlocker feature as of now...
Not really sure what it does...

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You won't notice a difference in the way you interface with Professional versus Ultimate, I have used both and there really is no difference, except for the Multi-language option and some other features.

Just trying to save you some money here. Did you get my PM?

Nibs

Reaction score
Thanks Nibs. I appreciate you trying to save us money....I'm all for that! I am interested int he other features as I'm afraid it may be something that I have grown to love in Ultimate...
The bitlocker feature I can probably do without. No, I didn't see your PM, but will look now. THiis is my first time on this board so I'm still kind of a Noob.

Ask a Question