changing vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit

Reaction score
i have windows vista 32 bit version installed on my laptop can i upgrade it to windows 7 64 bit version
My laptop is almost 3 years older with intel core2duo

please reply someone

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is still considered an "update" in the fact that legally you can use the Windows 7 update DVD rather than the full version DVD but as Clifford mentioned, it requires a complete install.

A good tool for migrating your settings and data from Vista 32-bit to W7 64-bit is Windows Easy Transfer. Download it HERE, install it on your Vista machine and make the back-ups to an external hard drive, USB, or DVDs. Then install W7. Next, use Windows Easy Transfer (which automatically installs w/ W7) to restore your userids and data. Finally, reinstall all of your programs.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Before even thinking of upgrading to 64-bit, you need to ensure there are 64-bit drivers for all your hardware devices. You need to check your notebook's website for 64-bit compatibility first. It is likely there will be no problem, but with notebooks, which tend to be very proprietary, there may be some issues with some of the legacy (older) components.

I would also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. While the vast majority of Vista machines can run Windows 7 with no problems, again, this is a notebook - and notebook makers don't play by the [ATX Form Factor] rules.

Also, if you are running any legacy programs, you should check their websites too for current versions, to either download their 64-bit version, or to ensure their 32-bit versions will run under a 64-bit OS.

Ask a Question