Frequent BSOD Mostly Watching Flash

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread I found through Google, but after looking through the forum, this seems like a much more appropriate place for it, at least according to the sticky XD

This problem has been frustrating me for months. I've tried rolling back as well as updating video drivers, sound drivers, re-arranging RAM sticks, video cards, monitoring temps constantly. I can't watch any Flash video for long before it BSOD's on me. It's quite frustrating to say the least. I've even tried going XP/Vista/Ubuntu through VMWare and Virtual Box for my flash, and it still will eventually BSOD on me.

All I can do at this point is ask for assistance.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hello kid2000,

Sounds like hardware issues, you will need to physically take out the hardware(e.g. sound cards, tv tuner, etc.) just start system with only the bare motherboard, video, ram and hard drive.

Make sure you have the latest drivers, but not beta drivers.

John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think I fixed it. I've been trying all day to test things. My motherboard has overclocking dip switches. I've turned these off and so far, I've just watched about 90 minutes of online Flash video with no BSOD's. Although I have further testing to do, because I did also disable the onboard GPU at the same time.

Other things I've tried today that didn't work for my particular problem:

• Rolling back to an older Video driver
  • Rolling back to an older Sound driver
  • Rearranging Video cards and cleaning contacts
  • Reseating RAM
  • Running Memory test
  • Running nVidia's stress test
  • Running nVidia's automatic tuning utility
  • Disabling unused services and start-up applications
  • Cleaning fans and air filters

After each one of those things, I would still BSOD on Flash video, and even sooner if I would full screen it. Turning off my hardware over clocking seems to have fixed the issue. It's a shame though, I'm losing 600Mhz on my CPU but to be honest, it's not a perceivable loss and I'd rather have my computer running correctly 90% of the time than having it BSOD'ing on me 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi.

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {0, 0, 0, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\sptd.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sptd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sptd.sys
Probably caused by : sptd.sys ( sptd+424ce )
You're getting errors with sptd.sys which is notorious for causing bsod.

Please uninstall it with the installer/uninstaller found here:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Then uninstall Daemon Tools. You can use PowerIso as a stable replacement.

Your getting 0X3B errors which are generally caused by antivirus in use, mainly AVG which you have. Please uninstall AVG with the special tool found here, and then install MSE as a stable replacement.

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

You can update your video card driver from here:

NVIDIA

You can update PowerIso from here:

Code:
SCDEmu   SCDEmu.SYS   Sun Nov 08 22:27:29 2009
http://www.poweriso.com

After doing these things, please post a new crash dump if necessary or let us know how it's going.

Reaction score
Yeah I followed all of that advice, thanks so much for such detailed information, you seem very knowledgable, I hope wherever you work, they really appreciate having you there.

Daemon tools is gone. I noticed IMGBurn wasn't really liking it either anyway. MSE seems like a solid AV choice, I'll be recommending it to everyone I know from now on. I usually use Malwarebytes as well, I've only read and seen good things from it so far. I used PowerISO before for converting .dmg's, so I guess I'll take advantage of it's image mounting utility from now on.

Do you think I was off the mark in taking my hardware overclock off by looking at those dumps, or do you suppose it would be safe to turn it back on? I'll do further testing either way, but since you've seen all the hassle I've gone through in just the past month, I'd just like to hear what you think.

And thanks for such a timely and detailed response. I wish every forum had someone with your skills in it.

Today has been good so far, as BSOD's go. I'll keep you guys informed if I see any other troubles.

Reaction score
I would hold off on setting the frequencies back to overclock for now until we can be sure the system is perfectly stable. That sptd.sys and AVG had to go though, so good...as long as you used the sptd.sys uninstaller I pointed to.

Then, you can adjust the clock to however you wish and if it messes up under this condition, you know exactly what did it.

Ask a Question