frequent BSOD, are the NVIDIA drivers responsible?

Reaction score
For some time now I have been experiencing sporadic BSODs. The freezing has become very frequent recently, thus the post. BSOD occurs randomly, but mostly when I browse the internet.

I suspect that one of the NVIDIA drivers could be the cause of BSOD, since I often see errors saying something like: "NVIDIA display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I have uninstalled and reinstalled NVIDIA graphic drivers previously, but this did not seem to solve the problem. I used the automatic Windows update to re-instal the graphic drivers.

I guess, by analyzing the BSOD minidumps via BlueScreenView that nvlddmkm.sys might be the culprit of freezing and BSOD. I might not have been very patient during BSODs, and therefore I do not have all the minidumps.

I used to have this nvlddmkm.sys:
NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 311.00; Version: 9.18.13.1100

but yesterday I upgraded? to this one:
NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.58; Version: 9.18.13.3158

On the HP web page I have found out that the recomended NVIDIA driver for my laptop (HP Pavilion dv5t-1000 CTO Entertainment, is the NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS/9600M GT Video/Graphics Driver; 2008-11-14 , Version7.15.11.7904 D, 160.11M.

Is the NVIDIA drivers at fault or is it something completely different?
Thanks a lot!
MartesFoina

Attachments

Reaction score
Perform the following tasks to fix this error::

Scan for Virus
Check Recently Installed Hardware and Device Drivers
Rectify a Damaged Hard Drive as Sometimes the cause of BSoD is a faulty hard disk.
The second most common cause of BSoD is a Registry, fix problems in the Registry.
Also Check CMOS and Memory Modules

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

Remove Daemon Tools:
sptd.sys Mon Oct 12 07:55:14 2009 (4AD24632)
SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools (known BSOD issues with Win7)

Then, try the older Nvidia Driver and see what happens.

As a last resort try the BIOS upgrade. Be careful and follow the instructions!
Your BIOS: BIOS Version F.16

On HP: 2009-09-04 , Version F.21 A, 2.91M
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3744198#N1289

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question