Frequent Crash; no BSOD; Event ID 41, Task Category (63)

Reaction score
Hello, all!

My Asus K52J Series laptop suffers from frequent crashes, usually, while playing a video game, but there is never a BSOD to accompany it. Instead, it simply shuts down on its own. I'm not sure how to get the memory dump created on a BSOD since I'm not getting a BSOD, but here is the information about the last crash from the Event Viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 7/29/2013 10:01:23 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: CaseyMcHugh-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-29T16:01:23.129629200Z" />
<EventRecordID>510873</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>CaseyMcHugh-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Let me know what other information you need. Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I already have the small minidumps enabled, so I assume this means I need to wait for it to crash again now in order to have a minidump to post, correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well updating your drivers & running a virus scan in safe mode can be done now but yes, post the DMP after the next crash.

Reaction score
It just crashed again a couple minutes after loading the video game, DOTA 2. I've attached the minidump from this crash here. Let me know what you find, thank you!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have not updated your drivers. Your video atikmpag.sys is dated Jan 22, 2010 and is showing in all three DMPs as a probable cause of the BSOD. Go to >>AMD<< and have it search for the latest video driver for your computer.

Reaction score
When I go to Update Driver for my display adapter in the device manager it says that it is up to date, but I went to AMD and followed the steps it gave me. I downloaded and installed this: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx.

But now when I go to my display adapter it still only shows the old driver as being installed on 1/22/10. Do I need to manually uninstall that driver as well? I thought installing the new one would override it, or is it still working regardless?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the driver still says jan 22, 2010 then either what you installed didn't complete successfully or it updated something else. If you are talking about the "AMD Mobility Radeon™ Driver Verification Tool" then that does not appear to actually be a driver, it's a tool to check if the driver is for you; running it shouldn't actually update the driver, just tell you if you can use it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would definitely try the Beta since the DMPs pointed to atikmpag.sys.

Reaction score
Thanks for your patience with this.

I've attempted to install the beta driver, but it doesn't look like it is installing properly and actually updating my driver at all. I download the beta, run the setup, and tell it to install. I watch it install, and then it allows me to view the log after of what it did. This is what it looks like:

Hardware information

NameAMD Radeon Graphics
ProcessorManufacturerAdvanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID0x955
3Vendor ID0x1002
Class Code0x030000
Revision ID0x00
Subsystem ID0x1c42
Subsystem vendor ID0x1043
Other hardware

Existing packages

Catalyst Control Center
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
ATI Display Driver
HDMI Audio Driver
AVIVO
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
HydraVision

Packages for install

AMD Catalyst Install Manager

Final Status:Success
Version of Item:8.0.915.0
Size:20 MbytesHDMI Audio DriverFinal Status:SuccessVersion of Item:7.12.0.7716
Size:1 Mbytes

Other detected devices
ManufacturerAdvanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID0xaa38
Vendor ID0x1002
Class Code0x040300
Revision ID0x00
Subsystem ID0xaa38
Subsystem vendor ID0x1043

Error messages

However, it still shows that my display driver (ATI Mobilitiy Radeon HD 5145) was last updated on 1/22/10 and is "up to date." Do I need to manually uninstall this driver first and then install the beta one?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, it's a good idea to uninstall the old first.

Make sure you create a restore point before you uninstall.

Reaction score
I uninstalled my old display driver, but when I rebooted my laptop it automatically reinstalled the old one, so the beta didn't seem to do anything when I installed it again.

But there is one piece of information I forgot to mention that might help. This problem first really started after buying a new battery for my laptop last year. And just this morning I was playing a video game with the laptop not plugged into the wall and it was working fine, but just a minute after plugging it into the wall it crashed again. Let me know if you have any other advice!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can you uninstall and then install the beta without a reboot in between?

Well power issues could definitely cause problems so it is always a possibility.

And no, sorry, I don't really have other ideas at this time. Maybe someone else will think of something. You might also consider posting your issue and DMPs in another forum with more active experienced BSOD members.

Reaction score
I guess you have to try running the last known good configuration option. Here's how to do that:

1. Press the Restart button.
2. Press F8 key repeatedly.
3. Select "Last known good configuration".
4. Press ENTER.

Reaction score
Uninstall any recently installed software programs, remove newly disconnected hardware and check whether the problem still occurs.

1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Click Programs | Uninstall a Program.
3. Select a recently installed software, click Uninstall button.
4. Follow the wizard and then reboot.

Ask a Question