Folding@home for w7forums.com

Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Let me go get my lasso!! :D

PS: I have never used a lasso and never plan on doing so. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mine downloads "big" jobs. Takes almost a day to complete one job.
Mine takes a day, if not two to complete a small job. And I have it checked to accept workloads of over 10MB, still all that I get are small jobs. It doesn't matter if it's my laptop or desktop, same deal.

Reaction score
To be honest; small, normal, or big WU - It doesn't really matter as long as they are all done before the deadline. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was wondering about something here. I've ran out of places to put new OS's on my laptop (must be that 4 deal). So I left Win 2K in it's first position (10GB), took 7 Pro and used the rest of the drive. And installing everything else in VMWare Player (XP Pro, Vista SP2 and Mint 9). Would it be possible to have two folding programs going at the same time on my laptop? I can run an VM and use my web browser in the host at the same time. Has anyone else tried this?

Reaction score
Would it be possible to have two folding programs going at the same time on my laptop?
  1. On a single core computer, one CPU client is all that would be needed. You could however run one CPU client and then a GPU client at the same time to make use of your GPU as well.
  2. On a multi-core computer, one CPU client per core as well as one GPU client per GPU. However you can only have one System Tray Client running at one time, all others will have to be console clients. And each client must have its own Machine ID.
  3. Running more than one client will not hurt your production as long as you finish the WU on time. However where the bonus is concerned, you will greatly reduce points when throttling back a client.
TPF=Time Per Frame (time it takes to complete 1%)

• Project 6014:
    • -------------------------
    • Client1 at 50% CPU usage (12 Min(TPF) = 1882.01 Points)
    • Client2 at 50% CPU usage (12 Min(TPF) = 1882.01 Points)
    • Points Per Day would be 4516.8
    • Client at 100% CPU usage (6 Min(TPF) = 2661.56 Points)
    • Points Per Day would be 6387.74
If that doesn't make sense, think about how long it would take to complete the two WU when running two client at the same time. Naturally it would take the same time for one client to complete two WU. Add the points for both clients running at 50% CPU and then compare the points to 2 WU for the client running 100% CPU. That would be 1882.01 twice compared to 2661.56 twice.

From the explanation, can you see how running two clients would reduce your overall points received when a bonus is involved?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, your explanation is clear. Too, I'm seeing it with my eyes as well. I assigned Vista 768MB RAM in my VM, it's been well over an hour since I began my first updating, and they are still installing. It's about three fourths of the way complete. It didn't take XP this long. You're right, that won't work. As soon as I'm finished updating, I'll go to folding again in 7 Pro.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I continue to be displeased with the speed of my client. Here's some output the most recent job ejaculated:

Average load imbalance: 2.3 %
Part of the total run time spent waiting due to load imbalance: 0.9 %
Steps where the load balancing was limited by -rdd, -rcon and/or -dds: X 0 %
Parallel run - timing based on wallclock.
NODE (s) Real (s) (%)
Time: 83625.561 83625.561 100.0
23h13:45
(Mnbf/s) (GFlops) (ns/day) (hour/ns)
Performance: 73.304 4.709 1.033 23.229

This doesn't really tell me much. In other words, I don't understand it. So it takes a day to finish one work unit... Is it because I opted to download "big" projects? Would I do better with smaller ones? I know it's not a race, every bit helps, I just want to be as efficient as possible I guess.

Reaction score
Core, upload your folding log so I can have a look at it. I'm afraid I don't really understand the above much either.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What is it that makes some members have higher scores than others? For example, Core has a score of 4967 on 15 WU's, and Nibiru has 6390 on 18 WU's. I have 1479 on 16 WU's. I have the option checked to receive larger work loads. Is there a configuration that I'm unaware of that will lead to higher points? I'm not complaining of my fellow members getting higher points, I just want some of them myself. After all, this is competition, we all need all of the points that we can get. I've even tried Ready Boost, to no avail. And even using my desktop some, and even with 64 bit, a dual core processor, 4GB RAM, I'm still getting small workloads that takes forever to finish. Am I doing something wrong here?

Reaction score
cat I think your AIO Desktop would run the SMP2 client. Your processor is comparable to the Dual Core Celeron I was using a month ago.

There is a little command-line interface getting started. However once you are all setup there really is not any reason to interface with the command-line. Once setup has been completed you can have a shortcut placed anywhere to start the client. Other people may prefer to setup the client as a service so that the client starts with windows.

Look at the weekly graph on this page.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=506949

You will notice that for the first month I was not clearing 5000 points a week. I was clearing somewhere around 300 points a day. Now 6000 points per day is an average for me.

Personally, I find these bonus points to be unfair to those who can't receive them. I realize that everyone does not have super computers. I don't classify my computer as a super computer. I thought it was about time I built a system better than my previous eMachine or one that I could purchase.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Looks like we'll break into the 8,000 range here either today or tomorrow.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've got a high performance program on here now, a GPU instead of a CPU. It displays a lot more info, even your speed, right now I'm at 300/10000. The ATI logo even shows on the page. For an extra boost when on the net, I'm using Ready Boost, it may or may not help. But at least I'm getting bigger jobs now.:D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Good Deal Cat! That's what I have been using is GPU client for ATI cards.

Plus if you get really bored you can have a little smoke and watch the folding molecules window. :canabis::stoned:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My only concern with this is that the deadlines appear to be a lot shorter, only three days, where the standard client allows 16 days. I have it checked not to lock cores to a specific CPU, so that it will use any free resources. And even have a high speed Kingston 4GB Flash Drive to use ReadyBoost for other tasks. I just checked, it only has 5.59MB free out of 3.72GB for this purpose, I dedicated the entire device for it. I was checking, it has nearly 2,000MB cached. I guess it's helping, the CPU is still only going to 53 to 55%, I did thought it would use more, on the other hand, I don't want it to run 100% non-stop for weeks. 70 to 75% is the max that I want it pushed to, and if that makes it very hot, I don't want it going that far. I'll see what kind of points I get from running this one, there is one more, but I messed up the first time on it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My real concern is the deadline of this queue, it started on 6/3 and is due by 6/6. Currently, it's at 3600/10000, no way it's ever going to make the deadline. So what happens if it doesn't? No points or WU's? This would be a while running, if nothing's gained. On the smaller projects, sometimes you get three weeks or longer. Plus, my desktop hasn't been this hot since I bought it. It's not as hot as my laptop by any means, but it has always ran just warm to the touch, except where the RAM is, it's always warmer there. Do you still get anything for the job completing?

Reaction score
cat honestly I can not answer that question. :(

I'm thinking there is credit for the WU but not the points if turned in after deadline. I truly don't know for sure.

Reaction score
Good Deal Cat! That's what I have been using is GPU client for ATI cards.

Plus if you get really bored you can have a little smoke and watch the folding molecules window. :canabis::stoned:
What a great way to be in front of a pc LOL I give that the :D:canabis:LOL RAFLMAO

regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Somehow or the other, I just finished another one on my notebook, although the drive temp reached 140 several times. The critical warning was set to pop up at 125 degrees, it was doing it so much, that I changed the critical warning to 140 degrees. Anyway, I'm at 48 WU's now, and working on another.

Ask a Question