Folding@home for w7forums.com

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
draceena, you're soon going to edge by me. Your WU says 4. You must be like me, getting a bunch of small workloads. Mine would be a couple more higher, but I've had laptop problems. Where it was running hot as hell, now it's barely warm. Weird.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Speaking of work units, I see c_c in my rear view! :eek:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Yah I am getting small work loads not the large ones, not sure why but it was fun to have all thoes 3's for a bit, lol now to work on 6's

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
C_C - Well, I found one heck of a great deal on a VGA cooler for my ATI Radeon HD3850 card.

I found it at Geeks.com, it's a Cooler Master CoolViva Z1; I got for $3.50!! Can you believe that? What a lucky find!

Plus an Arctic Cooling Fan 3 TC (Temperature Controlled) Fan for $2.50!!
Arctic Cooling makes great fans, quiet and very efficient.

Total Price for this add-on cooling solution was: $6.00 for parts, $8.00 for shipping.

LOL! The shipping was more than the parts! $14.00 all together.

I just couldn't pass it up! Should be here later this week then I'll start folding again!

Reaction score
WOW, that is cheap. :D

If I had a better card, I might would go for that deal too. My Radeon HD 4350 just wouldn't do much with any cooler. I think I will be better of just getting a new card. :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Is there an advantage to running more than one folding client per computer?
Does either the GPU or the CPU client have an advantage over the other?
I am trying to figure out if the client I am using is really the ideal one for my computer..

Reaction score
From my stand point.

I run the SMP2 client on all four cores. If I was to run the GPU client (which would also use CPU cycles), my bonus for the SMP2 client would be less. This loss would probably be more than my GPU gain. Now if I had a GPU that would produce more than my loss, I would run the GPU client and then pick up the rest with the SMP2 client.

The procedure I used when starting was folding on all the clients to see what the production was. I then decided which client's and or combination was best for me.

With DC Celeron 1.6Ghz & Radeon HD 4350
  • 320 PPD - Standard CPU client
  • 510 PPD - GPU2 client
  • 320 PPD - SMP2 client without the bunus *
  • 1200 PPD - SMP2 client with the bonus *
With Core2 Quad 2.66GHz
  • 510 PPD - GPU2 client
  • 1150 PPD - SMP2 client without the bunus *
  • 6000 PPD - SMP2 client with the bonus *
* The bonus is given when a passkey is used and 10 or more SMP2 work units have been completed.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
How do you configure SMP2? What is the passkey and why is it needed?

Reaction score
How do you configure SMP2? What is the passkey and why is it needed?
What is a passkey?
The passkey, a new feature beginning with the v6.0 FAH client, is a unique identifier that ties your contributions directly to you (not just those with your username). The use of a passkey prevents others from cheating using your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest. You should keep your passkey secret.
What is the purpose of a passkey?
Previously we did not have unique identifiers in Folding@home (usernames for example can be shared by many people). One main benefit of passkeys is that if someone cheats, we will not need to zero out the points of everyone with that username -- only the offending party and those without passkeys. Perhaps more interestingly, we have instituted a bonus points program, which will be tied to passkeys. Finally, the existence of passkeys opens up future possibility of displaying your individual credit and other information, rather than just by username.
Where can I get a passkey?
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py
Note: The passkey request form is case sensitive.
Soarce found here - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It was my understanding when I requested a pass key, that you got a bonus WU for every 10 that you do. And it worked as described, after I reached 10, the next day I received one more. So you do have an incentive to use it, besides privacy.

Reaction score
It was my understanding when I requested a pass key, that you got a bonus WU for every 10 that you do. And it worked as described, after I reached 10, the next day I received one more. So you do have an incentive to use it, besides privacy.
I'm sorry if I have mislead you, that was not my intention. :)

The bonus is extra points for each WU you do. You must have a passkey and at least 10 WU's completed to receive the bonus.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's what I meant, I got my bonus at the end of 10 work units. Hopefully, I'll have a couple of more soon, as I have one about to complete, and working on another on my desktop.:)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well, I'm running SMP2 now and have it configured... finally! Using passkey too.

It doesn't use any of my GPU resources but it's working the dual-core CPU, but it's staying fairly cool at 48 Celsius.

I've run 82500 steps of 250,000 so far, about 33% done.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Mine downloads "big" jobs. Takes almost a day to complete one job.

Reaction score
Mine was taking about 1.5 days per WU while I was using DC Celeron. Now I'm averaging about 10 hours for the same WU's.

You can use the SMP2 calculator I posted a few days ago. That will figure in what you would be making after the bonus. The points s*ck before you reach that number 10 WU.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
yodap will you be mad at me if I pass your number of WU's :)

Maybe I should work under a new name. I've been thinking of switching to "c_c" anyway. ;)
Of course I won't be mad if you pass me in WU"s clifford_cooley, It's all for the greater good. But I'm not going to make it easy for you.;)

Ask a Question