Files open slowly (intermittently)

Reaction score
I recently begun having an intermittent problem where I will double-click a file, and will get an hourglass/spinning circle for about 10 seconds before the file opens.

This happens independent of file type/size/location/etc. There seems to be no consistency to when it happens. I can open a file a five times in a row fine, then five times in a row slowly, then fast again, etc.

I have:

- Done a registry cleanup

- Done a hard drive cleanup

- Done a defrag

- Turned off indexing

- Done a complete virus scan

I've also opened the task manager to see what's happening when a file gets hung up, but the CPU never gets above 1-2%. Any suggestions? Thanks.

===========================

UPDATE: I just noticed that the exact same thing is happening to my second computer. So, that can't be a coincidence. Must be something to do with the network?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Two things to look at...malware, spyware and adware on your system can cause your problem. Also to many open programs...whether you are running them or they are running in the background automatically.

Reaction score
Two things to look at...malware, spyware and adware on your system can cause your problem. Also to many open programs...whether you are running them or they are running in the background automatically.
It started happening on both computers at the same time. Did complete scan of computers for viruses, etc. Main thing I noticed is that it completely goes away if I go offline. Only happens when the computer is connected to the internet.

Reaction score
Update your LAN adapter and wireless adapter driver from your PC's vendors support/driver download site.

Ask a Question