SOLVED which is better for opening files

Reaction score
i was looking up some file openers that were free, found Free File Opener and Libre Office.

Reaction score
there are some links people put on here and when i click on them, box comes up, windows cant open this type of file, gives me the option to choose on browsing the web for file opener or choose one from what i have. i only have note book and its show them scrambled.

Reaction score
Yes but what extension does the file have?

File extensions are used to control which applications open the file in question. This is why you have file associations set to open certain file types with the same programs each time. Usually the application that are installed will automatically set all associations so the application will open the files when needed. However there are times you may want to redirect the file extension control to another application to open by default.

If you right click on the file you want to open, there should be an "Open With" option. Select "Open With" and look for the application you want to use for opening the file. There is also an option to use the chosen application every time, this changes the file association so that the application you choose will be used by default to open any file with that same extension.

Reaction score
i'll try get a good screen shot on the box that comes up.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Here is a list of Common File Extensions. Some programs handle many types of file extensions and can often handle even more if the proper codecs are installed, example Windows Media Player handles many audio & video formats. Other extensions may be very specialized and require their own program, example SWF files need ShockWave Flash installed.

Recommendations:
I would say that most every computer should have some form of office software: Microsoft Office (paid software) or LibreOffice (freeware) to handle documents and spreadsheets.

If you like to play audio/video then you will likely need to add some codecs. Normally you want a good all around codec package, rather than installing several. Personally I like K-Lite standard (but use the install options and don't install their video player). To play video you can use the Windows Media Player (WMP12) which comes in W7 or if you want a better video player install VLC.

Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight are needed to display video on webpages. You likely already have these because when you need them, a window pops up offering to install them.

And you need some form of PDF reader. HERE is a list of the better ones. Pick one.

... If you have all these things and you still get a message then tell us the website and the file extension, if you can find it, and we'll take a look.

Reaction score
have flash player, its required on pogo.com along with java. silverlight is newer version 5.0..netflix requires it. tubeplus.me requires flash player on some movies.
most files say theyre .dll's.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A dll is a subprogram, in other words it isn't a complete program but it has pieces of code other programs can call to use. Only install DLLs from sites you trust.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How are you getting that error? You shouldn't even be trying to open NTUSER.DAT, it is a system file.

Are you in windows Explorer when you see that file? You should go to Windows Explorer. Organize. folder and search options. VIEW tab. And set "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" and also check the box beside "hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

Off topic: Are you using a camera to take screen shots, because they are very hard to see. You might want to check out this TUTORIAL on using the W7 snipping tool or Print screen to take screen shots right in Windows.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
yeah, it's a system file that maintains info about your userid. You shouldn't be opening it and you need to set your settings as I explained above so those files are hidden

Reaction score
i keep open user file cause the new java7 keeps installing McAfee without my permission. i have to keep removing McAfee in my files, program data, and program files. when i downloaded java7 i opted out of installing McAfee but java keeps insstalling it. hackers have exploited java to hack computer the the java and they keep updating it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
McAfee isn't an exploit though. If you want to uninstall it use programs and features in control panel. You don't actually have to see program files on your C: drive to uninstall. Also if you set Java to stop doing automatic updates then it won't keep installing.

It's your system and you will do what you want but if you accidentally delete one of those system files/folders then I hope you have a good back-up.

As for JAVA, I completely uninstalled it because I'm sick of the crap way they keep turning stuff back on every time you get an update.

Reaction score
McAfee isnt being installed to program and features, its being installed with files and folders. I need java to play pogo bowl on pogo.com. game wont load without java.
I cant go out and buy any games to play on this laptop cause graphics chipset is to old. so im left with online games.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some people need JAVA, that's fine. I was just sick of their crap every time I updated so I am living w/o it for the time being.

But you can turn off JAVA automatic updates; unfortunately you have to do this again EVERY TIME you download updates because Oracle programmers are too stupid to give smarter users what they want. Supposedly it is so the more important security updates get installed for the masses who aren't smart enough to check periodically on their own. Well here's a thought Oracle, create two types of updates similar to Microsoft's Critical and recommended, then give us two options to turn off both, one, the other, or none with a big warning about turning off critical updates being bad! %^$#ing Oracle morons!

According to Mcafee, the latest McAfee Security Scan Plus should show up in Control Panel > Programs and Features (this uninstaller is how you should remove programs, it is not good to just delete them from /program files/ because it is not clean and can corrupt your registry or at least leave it bloated with useless junk), if it is there then uninstall it that way first but then I would run their removal tool too (McAfee removal tool).

If it still comes back, I would uninstall JAVA and then reinstall JAVA and make sure you uncheck the box to install McAfee Security Scan Plus. See this article on Oracle bundling McAfee Security Scan Plus with JAVA..

Watch out because McAfee also pays Adobe to include it in some of their installers too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i uncheck the install for McAfee when i first downloaded java. but the recent update created files and folders for McAfee. flash player keeps giving me google tool bar.
recently somebody posted on here with attachment, i went to see what that attachment was and got this,

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This forum does not support the direct upload of a .DAT file extension so you didn't get that here unless you first unzipped/unrarred it from a ZIP or RAR file. NTUSER.DAT is a system file and shouldn't be opened or moved. It should be located in C:\Users\m1r2hud and is essential if you want your userid to keep working.

The truth is, most users should not be directly accessing folders in C:\Users\ or C:\Program Files\ or C:\windows\, that is why they are protected system files/folders and why they are hidden by default. W7 provides libraries to access the data stored in C:\users and control panel>programs and features to uninstall programs. Accidentally moving/deleting system files/folders or not properly uninstalling software can leave the OS unusable or unusually slow.

Reaction score
The truth is, most users should not be directly accessing folders in C:\Users\ or C:\Program Files\ or C:\windows\,
Which is why I firmly believe User data storage should be stored somewhere other than where MS places them by default.

I've said this before and I will say it again. I hate MS file structure for User's data, always have and probably always will. If I didn't have a second partition/drive to store my files, I always kept a specific folder in the root of C:\ for personal storage.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I hate MS file structure for User's data, always have and probably always will. If I didn't have a second partition/drive to store my files, I always kept a specific folder in the root of C:\ for personal storage.
I guess I don't understand what you mean because I don't see much difference between your idea and Microsoft's idea.

Let's say you called your data folder C:\Clifford, and if I shared the same computer my data folder would be called C:\TrainableMan. And under each of our data folders we separate our data into sub-folders for My Documents, My Music, My Videos, My Pictures, Downloads, Contacts, and Favorites. But in order for Microsoft to add some security to all users' data and provide a little protection from each of us accessing the others data, they simply moved it another level deeper under a folder "Users" so now your data is on C:\users\Clifford and mine is on C:\users\TrainableMan. This is how they allow for multi-user machines while limiting each users access to the others info; they can use permissions and simply assign them to C:\users rather than having to specifically hide C:\Clifford and C:\TrainableMan, and C:\Admin, and C:\public, etc.

Last edited:

Ask a Question