BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure with Dump Files Attached

Reaction score
Hi:

I've been having the BSOD when I shut down my computer. Sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes to fully shut down, which then produces the BSOD and then the computer restarts itself in normal Windows mode. A pop-up would show up to ask if I want to check for a solution to the problem and I select Yes, but no solution ever arises.

I have a refurbished Gateway DX4850-57. Specs below:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.cheetahdeals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=L-PT.GBL02.022
  • Intel 2nd Gen Core i7-2600 3.4GHz
  • Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
  • 8GB DDR3 Memory
  • 1.5TB Hard Disk Drive
  • 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT420
  • Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
[/FONT]I am not computer savvy enough to understand the dump files and know what it is exactly that I need to do to fix the problem.

Could someone please someone analyze the attached dump files and let me know how to proceed to fix the problem? Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
It appears that the USB driver is cauing the BSOD.
Go to: http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3452

Download the USB Driver 3.0 and install it. But you should download and install ALL drivers.
Out-of-date drivers generally cause most of the BSOD.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much! I went ahead and downloaded the USB driver and will have to wait until tonight to see if the BSOD shows up and if it does, I'll just download the rest of the drivers.

Shintaro

Reaction score
If the USB driver doesn't fix it, install all the drivers.
If it still doesn't fix it, then upload the BSOD.

Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
If the USB driver doesn't fix it, install all the drivers.
If it still doesn't fix it, then upload the BSOD.

Let us know how it goes.
Hi,

I went ahead and installed the USB driver first and then that following night, no BSOD. I thought the problem was fixed. In the nights following, the BSOD started occurring again, only after shutting down after 11PM PST. It is fine if I shut down or restart any other time during the day.

I went ahead and installed all the other drivers, but no luck, still BSOD. I've attached most recent dump files dated 5/15 as well as the BSOD.

If you could please take a look at the dump files and perhaps any clues to the image, please let me know what the best resolution may be.

Thank you.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you updated the BIOS?
I'm looking at the mini dumps now.

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, you need to run windows update. The driver will be listed as a "USB Mini Port Driver". You need to install that.

Are you OK with running windows update?

Let us know how you go.

Reaction score
OK, you need to run windows update. The driver will be listed as a "USB Mini Port Driver". You need to install that.

Are you OK with running windows update?

Let us know how you go.
I just installed the BIOS along with running windows update. They didn't have the USB Mini Port Driver as an option, but I completed windows update anyway.

I tried looking at Microsoft's site for the USB Mini Port Driver, but couldn't find it either. Do you know where I might be able to find and update this driver?

Thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Can you please find usbachi.sys (Should be in C:\windows\System32\Drivers) and right click on the file, select properties, then the "Details" tab:
File Version
Date Modified

Reaction score
Can you please find usbachi.sys (Should be in C:\windows\System32\Drivers) and right click on the file, select properties, then the "Details" tab:
File Version
Date Modified
I tried looking for that file in the said location, but I don't see it.

I also have done a search as well and can't find it. Perhaps it is because it's missing. I've attached what I see. I have a couple of close ones, usbechi.sys, but no usbachi.sys.

Is there somewhere I can download this?

I was also curious, if I reinstalled Windows, would this solve the problem? I have an extra copy of Win 7 Professional lying around on an old custom built computer and I can just install into this Gateway. From what I read, upgrading from OEM should be okay, is that correct?

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
My apologies, my fault, that was usbechi.sys NOT usbachi.sys.
Can you please get the version etc for that file.

Again sorry for the mistake.

Reaction score
My apologies, my fault, that was usbechi.sys NOT usbachi.sys.
Can you please get the version etc for that file.

Again sorry for the mistake.
Ah, sorry, I just saw your response. I didn't get a email notification until I came to check. Sorry for the delay

The closest one I have is usbehci.sys, so I'm assuming it should be the same one you're talking about (inverted "h" and "c")

Here's the file version: 6.1.7601.17586
Date Modified: 3/24/11 8:29PM

Do you need anything else that might help?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry for the late responce.
Can you please set your power saving settings to "Always on".
I am thinking that something is trying to go in to sleep mode and crashes the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Sorry for the late responce.
Can you please set your power saving settings to "Always on".
I am thinking that something is trying to go in to sleep mode and crashes the computer.

Let us know how it goes.
Hi,

I tried that last night. In fact, it took even longer for my computer to shut down. It was probably close to 30 minutes. It usually hangs at the "Shut Down" screen, then it turns black, and then the BSOD, and lastly, the automatic restart.

Yesterday, the BSOD didn't even show up yet since it was stuck on the black screen for an extremely long time, longer than usual. I had to manually push the power button to shut it down.

Any other tips? Suggestions? Do you need anything else from my computer that can help pinpoint the problem?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Do you have anything plugged in to the USB ports??
Yes, in the back ports, I have keyboard, mouse, webcam, printer plugged in.

On the top ports, I have my wireless plugged into one of the top ports and ipod charger on one of the top ports. Should I unplug or switch the wireless into the back port? I can also unplug the ipod charger when I shut down tonight and give it a try.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just before shutdown remove every USB device except for you keyboard and mouse. See how that goes.

Reaction score
Just before shutdown remove every USB device except for you keyboard and mouse. See how that goes.
Great idea! Thanks! It worked! Shut down without a flaw with keyboard and mouse plugged in. I guess right now, I just have to determine which port is causing the problem?

I hope it's one of the top ports; it's a pain to have to crawl behind the computer each night to do so.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yes, you will need to step through each device, adding one device before shutdown each time.

For example, keyboard, mouse & webcam. Next time, keyboard, mouse, webcam
& wireless.

Probably best to write it down and put the date on it just in case you forget or something else happens.

A bit annoying, but really the only way to do it.

Let us know how it goes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also once you think you know what it is that is causing the problem, look for updated Drive or software for the device.

Ask a Question