files & folders not in My Docs but can be seen on C Drive

Reaction score
Computer looks like it was wiped brand new, I can NOT see the folders and files in my docs/my pics, BUT I can see the files on the C drive, so I have not lost them.

I turned on my computer this morning and was terrified when I didn't see my normal desktop. The background color was different. The program icons are on the desktop but some icons were missing (like Windows Mail!!) I went to My Documents and My Pictures and both these folders looked like they did when I first got the computer. For example I can now see Sample Pictures and I had long ago deleted Sample Pictures.

Initially it appeared that my computer had been wiped clean, but my files can be found on the C: Drive

My files and folders are still on my computer because:
I go to the > C:\Drive >Users> Doc and all my folders and files are there.
I go to the > C:\Drive >Users> Pic and all my folders and files are there. Thank the Lord!

I have already gone to Folder Options and ensure that "show files and folders" was checked. So they are NOT hidden

Maybe if I could figure out what caused it, I could fix it!
I had heard that a virus could cause this. I ran spybot and it found a few minor things, but none fixed this problem.
My husband said that when he last used the computer it was doing what thought was a Windows Update He didnt turn it off. But it was off this morning when I turned it n. . I now wonder if it was a fake windows update.

What can I do to get my old desktop back? How do I make the files appear under My documents.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Granny DP
DPForumDog

Windows 7 Home Premium

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The first thing to do is make sure your computer has not been infected with a virus. The free version of Spybot S&D is NOT anti-virus software. Do you have the paid product that includes anti-virus or just the free spy-bot scanner?

You need to be running actual anti-virus software with active scanning, so if you aren't, Microsoft Security Essentials is free and you should consider installing that once your system is restored, not now. But for now I suggest you use another computer and burn a Windows Defender Offline CD and then boot this computer to the CD for a complete virus scan.

If it is not a virus then your registry is likely corrupted. Did you run any software to clean/check the registry or optimize/make your PC run faster? These type programs can be harmful to your computer and the only one I have faith in is CCleaner.

So once you are sure you don't have a virus, your best option is to go to "System Restore" (simply type it in at the start search bar) and restore to a restore point prior to the problem. If you try one and it doesn't work then try another one a day or two prior. Let us know if that solves the problem.

Ask a Question