SOLVED Failed Startup on win7

Reaction score
I've spent about a day on this with no solution. Please help!

My problem started after my computer was turned on for about 2 hours. General computing and my screen turned a strange pink color. My initial thought was my monitor was going out. Then the desktop stopped working. I rebooted and received the BSOD: the instruction at 0x746629e7 reference memory at 0x006a8863. the memory could not be read. So I rebooted again then the windows logo stop moving and my system went into windows error recovery.

I launched repair recovery and no solutions were found. Looking at the details it shows error code = 0x490. But no Google solution to corrected this problem worked.

I tried system restore....no luck.

I am able to safe-boot after changing the bsdedit in cmd and rebooting.

I tried selective startup and no luck their either.

Not sure where to turn now......ANY IDEAS?

Reaction score
In addition I have not recently made any changes to my system or added any hardware.
System recovery shows no windows memory problems.
chkdsk shows no errors.
sfc /scannow showed no problems.

Reaction score
system: acpi x86 based pc Intel Core 2quad cpu q6600 @2.4
4 gb memory
nvidia geforce 8500GT
Creative SB X-FI Sound Card
Hauppauge winTV HVR-1800 (never use)

Reaction score
I'm getting an error code when I run cpu-z.
"The error code 0x43C (1084) occured during initialization." I am running in safe mode on my desktop.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I ordered the system in 07 64bit was not available for the programs I needed to run. So when I bought win 7 I just bought the 32bit version. Or am I confused? Or maybe its showing you version 7601 service pack 1 due to safe mode.

4 hours of prime95 and no errors.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
My most sincere apologies, a colleague just reminded me of the 64bit problem back in 2007. I had completely forgotten about it.

In safe mode try uninstall the Nvidia drivers to see if windows will boot using SVGA.
Also what did you change with BCDEdit?

Reaction score
No Problem. It use to be a big problem in the 90's. So I guess I'm old school. I've been running win7 for a few years now. Based on your comment I will look into 64bit with win8.

Shintaro

Reaction score
To be honest I was wondering if you installed Windows 7 64bit, it might be less of a problem.

Reaction score
Some progress. I was able to delete the Nvidia drives and the computer now boots into normal mode. Thanks for that advice. Does this mean my video card is bad or just the driver?

During initial boot the only progress I could make was with recovery to the command prompt. So I edited the bcedit with this command.

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

And restarted. I was supprised it worked. This did allow me into safe mode to make changes. After a change I would go back to cmd and change the bcdedit back to boot in normal mode with this command.

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot.

Now I'm able to run the cpuz, rammon and prime95. I've attached for viewing. Any additional thoughts on this problem?

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, I would download the latest Nvidia drivers and install them. When you install them, see if you can do a "Custom" install and only install the drivers, not the utilities.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
My RamMon file will not upload as an HTML so here is the txt file.

Today I also learned how to snippet a screen shot....didn't know before. So my attachments should be showing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Most things need to be zipped up, before they can be uploaded to the forum.

1. Right click on the file
  2. Select "Send To"
  3. Select "Compressed (Zipped) Folder"

Reaction score
In hopes to get this running properly. I reinstalled nvidia drivers, reset the configsys to normal boot with permanent box checked. I also retyped my bcedit/deletevalue {default} safeboot in the cmd window.
And now the computer will not start properly. Hmmm......Standby

Reaction score
Update: I've went and change the system to not include the nvidia card. I then went in and changed the sys config with minial servies and no extra start stuff in startup. The system seemd to be booting fine. I have been selecting a few thing at a time in the boxes and then restarting. Nothing in the config/startup appears to cause a boot fail. So I'm back to starting with no Nivida driver. And things seem to work fine just slow. Hmm.

So the question is.....Why did you think it was the video driver? Do you think its a bad video card or just the drivers. I have the latest driver installed.

Ask a Question