SOLVED Failed 7 Pro Upgrade

Reaction score
After doing an upgrade with the original installation disc, my Win 7 Pro sp1 x64 will not boot up correctly. As its Starting Windows it hesitates and then loads Windows Session, Windows Modules Installer, then User Profile and then Local Setting. When you restart the computer as it is Shutting Down, Services are Stopped then it Restarts.
On the Desktop it shows Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not Genuine. I have no idea what Windows is doing and why. Please, does anyone here have a clue as to what’s going on with my computer???
Thank you, Jr

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean "an upgrade" ? Upgraded from what?

Did you upgrade from XP or Vista to W7 or did you upgrade from W7 Home to W7 Pro?

You can easily have a real W7 DVD and still not have a valid license. It happens all the time from purchases made online. If the key has been used on other machines then Microsoft can disable the key and all of them start showing up as illegal copies (sometimes it may be 3 or 4 months after installation that this suddenly occurs).

If you know you have a valid copy that is installed on only one machine then it's possible you just deleted something from the registry needed to confirm that. You could try restoring your system to an earlier restore point if you have one, otherwise I suggest backing up your system, formatting the computer, and doing a complete reinstall of W7, enter your valid product key, and then activate, and finally restore your backed up data.

NOTE: once considered illegal, W7 has automatic delays built in to make the boot slower & slower and also will to switch to a black background.

Reaction score
What do you mean "an upgrade" ? Upgraded from what?

Did you upgrade from XP or Vista to W7 or did you upgrade from W7 Home to W7 Pro?

You can easily have a real W7 DVD and still not have a valid license. It happens all the time from purchases made online. If the key has been used on other machines then Microsoft can disable the key and all of them start showing up as illegal copies (sometimes it may be 3 or 4 months after installation that this suddenly occurs).

If you know you have a valid copy that is installed on only one machine then it's possible you just deleted something from the registry needed to confirm that. You could try restoring your system to an earlier restore point if you have one, otherwise I suggest backing up your system, formatting the computer, and doing a complete reinstall of W7, enter your valid product key, and then activate, and finally restore your backed up data.

NOTE: once considered illegal, W7 has automatic delays built in to make the boot slower & slower and also will to switch to a black background.

Thank you for responding to this and sorry about that, I'm new to this sort of thing. The upgrade was to repair my 7Pro to 7Pro as not to loose my other installed programs that were downloads and that I have no disc for. This was a repair/upgrade with my valid copy of 7Pro 64. After I posted this the first time I was able validate my win7 PC and now it said GENUIN and Activated!! I truly hope this helps!! And again, thank you!! rj

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you tried a reinstall directly over your existing installation to fix a problem and it did not work.

You might try doing that once more but I believe what you are most likely going to have to do is back up your data, format, reinstall W7, restore your data, and then reinstall what programs you can.

Ask a Question