SOLVED Failed Startup on win7

Shintaro

Reaction score
That is a good approach. But it would appear to be the Video card.
I don't know how much or little that you know. But do you have another video card that you could swap out to test? Are you ok with changing video cards?

Reaction score
Yes, I have no problem swapping the video card. I just need to find one that is compatible. I think I have an old one in the attic.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just before you swap it out, check that the fan is running on the video card, if it has one.

It's just a test. So if you find the old video card, install it, install the drivers for it. If it works ok, then we know that the Nvidia card is faulty. Which is rare.

Reaction score
Just an update. For ease I went ahead and purchased a video card and installed. Computer appears to be working great now. Have not had any issues. Thanks for all the help. Hope I can return the favor.

Reaction score
I installed Nvidia GeForce gt 440 for 39.99 at BB.

It's not a great card but my system is 7 years old and I'm trying not to spend to much money on it. Our family has stopped playing games on the computer so we only use it for basic stuff.

I will probably replace my desktop within the next couple of years.

Reaction score
Looks like I'm back. Not sure if its the same problem or not. I do have the new video card installed and everything was going great......And boom. More problems. A few notes: I did place the computer in sleep mode last night before bed. Woke up this morning and noticed the win 7 screen was on but not logged on. Logged on and shut down the computer all the way down. After returning home I tried to start and the BSOD is back. I've attached the new mem dump. please help....again

Attachments

Reaction score
Just crashed again this morning. Can someone look at my dump file and let me know what you think. I don't know if its the video card now. Thinking about re-installing the old card.

Attachments

Reaction score
Looks to me like its a registry error with a driver named: ntkrnlpa.exe. But not sure what the next step should be

Reaction score
usually its recommended to reinstall the OS. when your system crashes.
have run a start up repair.

Reaction score
if I reinstall it will remove my data correct? Or will in just rewrite the os system? In the past when I reinstalled os it made a mess of my computer. Think 98/me/vista.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A reinstall is not necessarily best at all. If your problem is bad or mismatched RAM it won't help at all. If your problem is out-dated drivers then simply installing the correct drivers is all that is needed. If it is a corrupt OS file then a start-up repair can usually correct it. If the corruption is widespread then the hard drive may be dying and a reinstall won't help for long, if at all because you need a new HD. If the problem is caused by a virus then the best solution is to remove the virus.

The best idea is to scan for viruses in safe mode and remove any viruses before anything else. Then, if it is not a virus, zip up your DMP files and post them for a BSOD expert to look over.

Unfortunately our only active BSOD expert on the forums lately, Shintaro, has started a new project in his personal life and has been unavailable for over a week. He was hoping to get back here this weekend but if he doesn't then it may be necessary for you to try posting your DMP files on another forum.

Shintaro

Reaction score
You may end up reinstalling due to windows reporting a Registry problem:
REGISTRY_ERROR (51)
Something has gone badly wrong with the registry. If a kernel debugger
is available, get a stack trace. It can also indicate that the registry got
an I/O error while trying to read one of its files, so it can be caused by
hardware problems or filesystem corruption.
It may occur due to a failure in a refresh operation, which is used only
in by the security system, and then only when resource limits are encountered.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000001, (reserved)
Arg2: 8c81b808, (reserved)
Arg3: 016be000, depends on where Windows bugchecked, may be pointer to hive
Arg4: 00000374, depends on where Windows bugchecked, may be return code of
HvCheckHive if the hive is corrupt.
I strongly suggest that you back your data somewhere.

But please also do the RAM test in post #33.

Reaction score
Did the mem test for many hours with no shown errors. I attached a pic of the results.

Having some success with running my system in seletive startup and slowly adding items under the services. But have been unable to find the issue. Wonder if my issue is intermittent.

Attachments

Reaction score
My last dump was posted in #28. Running stress test now.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please run Driver Verifier:

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)

Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:

1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
  5. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  6. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  7. Select "Finish" on the next page.

• Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
  • Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
  • The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
Yea....As of now its fixed. Looks like I had a virus that had done some damage to my sys files. After running different virus programs and a few repair programs. I
THINK im fixed. Just now waiting for the next BSOD, but its been a few days now and it appears to be running good. thanks for the help.

Ask a Question