SOLVED Factory reset Compaq Presairo Cq57-339wm failed

Reaction score
So, it all started when my Mom's computer suddenly shut down and wouldn't start back up. Even Startup Repair didn't work and it said that a required file wasn't found. Fortunately, I had a system recovery disk for the CQ57-229WM model.I figured that since the two were very similar, it would work too. The system recovery went well for the most part until the end when I restarted the computer. I got an error message that said the recovery failed. Can someone please tell me what to do now? Solution needed ASAP

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the point of the attached txt file with the word "isolinux"?

Did you try Startup Repair again after your "recovery"?

Do you know the Windows 7 Product key? Because if you have that you can always do a fresh install with an actual W7 Installation DVD. You download and burn (or create a bootable flash drive) in the proper bit-size and version from HERE. Then it is also a good idea to download the drivers from HP and burn those to a CD (or add them as a folder if you used the flash drive method). Then boot the bad computer to the DVD (or flash drive) and try install.

Unfortunately if the problem is a hard drive failure then that won't work and you would need to replace the HD then try installation with your recovery DVDs or the W7 Installation DVD/Flash Drive again. And as I said, having the product key is critical for the W7 Installation DVD.

Reaction score
I do know the product key but the computer was bought in 2011 I think so it has expired already. And oops, I put the wrong file. I'll find and post the right one asap

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From the log it seems your computer came with Home Basic and your mothers came with Home Starter (or visa versa, not 100% I'm reading it correctly as to which is needed and which was installed).

The product keys do not expire but they are also not interchangeable so you can not use your disks because they are the wrong version (the two computers could have different drivers as well but that can usually be corrected with internet connectivity, assuming the LAN connection is not one of the "wrong" drivers).

Note that if your mother's machine needs 32-bit starter (or basic if I read the log wrong) you will need to download the Professional version from the links I listed above and then remove the ei.cfg file before you burn the DVD (or just delete from the flash drive if using that method). See how to do that part HERE and then be sure to install Starter.

Reaction score
Both computers are running windows 7 Home Premium

[18:31:54.92] Required [Starter] Edition. But, OS is not [Starter]...

Reaction score
From the log it seems your computer came with Home Basic and your mothers came with Home Starter (or visa versa, not 100% I'm reading it correctly as to which is needed and which was installed).

The product keys do not expire but they are also not interchangeable so you can not use your disks because they are the wrong version (the two computers could have different drivers as well but that can usually be corrected with internet connectivity, assuming the LAN connection is not one of the "wrong" drivers).

Note that if your mother's machine needs 32-bit starter (or basic if I read the log wrong) you will need to download the Professional version from the links I listed above and then remove the ei.cfg file before you burn the DVD (or just delete from the flash drive if using that method). See how to do that part HERE and then be sure to install Starter.
The Windows 7 product key doesn't expire? Because a couple of years ago, when the computer I'm using now messed up, the product key that came with the computer didn't work

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The product key does not expire - it is specific to the version that it came with. So if the sticker is for VISTA Home Basic then it would work to reinstall Vista Home Basic, nothing else. If you upgraded then you should have an upgrade key and you would use that key but again it must match the product installed, if the upgrade key is for W7 Home Premium then you must use it on a W7 Home Prem installation. Many people simply misread/mistype the product key too, they often get scratched if they are attached to a laptop for instance.

Microsoft can invalidate product keys if they detect their use on more than one computer so, for example, if Microsoft were to detect the same product key on two different computers they could invalidate the key and then both computers would start showing as "Non-Genuine". Unfortunately computers are often sold second-hand with such licenses and the victims often find out too late.

If you have a Home Premium key that is not in use and legally transferable then you could use the links I provided to create a Home Premium DVD and install with that.

Reaction score
I used the product key once already on this computer so would it still work/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a limit to how many times the same key can be installed within a certain amount of time before it requires phone activation. Nobody really seems to know what that amount is exactly, but 3 times in a 6 month period is a good estimate. Even if phone activation is required, you simply call the toll free Microsoft number on the screen.

So yes, if you have the correct product key for that machine and it matches the version of W7 you have installed, then it should activate.

Reaction score
There is a limit to how many times the same key can be installed within a certain amount of time before it requires phone activation. Nobody really seems to know what that amount is exactly, but 3 times in a 6 month period is a good estimate. Even if phone activation is required, you simply call the toll free Microsoft number on the screen.

So yes, if you have the correct product key for that machine and it matches the version of W7 you have installed, then it should activate.
Ok, so i'll try using the product key and then if it doesn't work, I'll let you know.

Reaction score
I just downloaded the Windows 7 ISO and found a program called [Removed by Moderator] so I could get it for free

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Andrew, that would be illegal and it is also a good way to invite viruses or keyloggers into your computer. We do not allow illegal activity on this site and if you continue to post of such activities will get you banned.

Ask a Question