Extremely slow file transfer to/from usb external hard drive and pen drives to HDD

Reaction score
Hi,

I have got EXTREMELY slow/non existent file transfer speeds between my USB external hard drive/pen drives and my HDD.

I have no problem at all copying, moving files from/to my Android phone. That works a charm.

Initially when connecting the external hard drive, it takes an age to even load up and slows the whole system down.

Both the pen drives and the hard drive work fine on other computers (not tried on another Windows 7 computer).

I've done numerous checks for updates and I'm as certain as I can be that the USB drivers are the most up to date (the computer was only built around 5 months ago and has always had this problem)

I have tried using 3rd party software for file transfer but this runs into the same errors.

I am running:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
I'm not sure what technical specifications are needed to help with this so just shout and i'll get them to you.

Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I had this problem with one of my flash drives and what worked for me was to totally reformat the drive (of course make sure you copy all the data off first because formatting wipes out any data). NTFS has security overhead so I normally format mine FAT32.

Ask a Question