SOLVED Computer extremely slow

Reaction score
Two days ago when the laptop was shutting down I accidently removed the AC Adapter( I wasn't using the battery) and like you might imagine the computer shut down. When I turned it on again, it showed me the three usual options and I selected the normal way.
After that my computer is taking more than 5minutes to fully start up, my browser and windows explorer is constantly freezing and just now it took 5 minutes to show the message "Welcome" and after finally starting it showed a message in the background that one windows service didn't turned on which is Windows Aero. Anyway can help me fixing this issue please? :)

Reaction score
Turn on laptop, do not connect AC power cord - leave it unplugged, let the battery run completely empty, so it will shut down. Then restart and then plug in AC adapter.

Next thing to do, would be to refresh the batter per vendors instructions. Each company has a different way of doing that. Just google your laptop make and model for battery refresh.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
let the battery run completely empty, so it will shut down. Then restart and then plug in AC adapter.
If the battery is completely empty, I don't think it will let you restart without plugging in the AC adapter first. Worth trying, but I don't have much faith it will work. :( I hope I am wrong.

The fact your computer shut down when you pulled the power tells me the battery was near dead at that point anyway. How old is this system? Did the battery have time to charge before you pulled the power?

I agree with bassfisher to check your notebook maker's instructions to refresh the battery. But if this notebook is more than 2 years old, and if the battery did have time to take on a charge before you pulled the cable, but didn't, then you may need to start looking at replacing the battery, or having the notebook tested to ensure the battery/charging circuits are still functional.

Reaction score
You said you pulled the AC adapter during shutdown.If the notebook was not fully shutdown ,It can cause Hard disk failures,corrupt hdd sectors etc which can cause the time delay(personal experience !!!!).Run the chkdsk (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265)utility. Maybe this isn't even the reason for it. Do a full virus scan.

Turning off PC's using the switch on UPS's and unpluging the AC adapter can only harm your computer especially if it's in the process of booting or shutdown

Try booting in safe mode. If there is a increase of performance,then the reason for the bad performance maybe a virus, drivers,other softwares etc

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
From your post, I understand you did not have a battery in the laptop? In which case, it is not a battery problem.
But from your account, you may have caused a spark through some essential hardware part of the computer.
But, hopefully, it may have only damaged some software.
Try and run sfc /scannow, to see if the items can be recovered or repaired.

Last edited:
Reaction score
From your post, I understand you did not have a battery in the laptop? In which case, it is not a battery problem.
But from your account, you may have caused a spark through some essential hardware part of the computer.
But, hopefully, it may have only damaged some software.
Try and run sfc /scannow, to see if the items can be recovered or repaired.
I did that yesterday but no problems found. There might be another reason for this problem but it's unlikely, a few days ago I went to my manufacturer website and updated some of my drivers.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It could be. Perhaps it is trying to load an incompatible driver. You could try rolling back one or two in the Device manager. I would suggest a start with the graphics.

Reaction score
It could be. Perhaps it is trying to load an incompatible driver. You could try rolling back one or two in the Device manager. I would suggest a start with the graphics.
Alright I did that for every driver that I had updated from acer website (I didn't roll back my graphic card because that has been downloaded months ago and I haven't noticed any problem), now how am I supposed to "feel" any difference?

Shintaro

Reaction score
So you selected the "Normal boot" option instead of letting windows run a scan on the hard disk? If that is what you did then you still need to run chkdisk.

Reaction score
So you selected the "Normal boot" option instead of letting windows run a scan on the hard disk? If that is what you did then you still need to run chkdisk.
I did that this week when the slowdown and freezes started to happen, I selected both choices and I can telll you that it didn't run on the background but after doing this the same problems remain. Now like davehc said above I rolled back all the drivers that I had updated and so far the computer seems fine.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I selected both choices and I can telll you that it didn't run on the background
What should have happened is the next time you booted, the boot process would have been interrupted, and the checkdisk would then have run. And it would likely take quite a while to finish - often overnight on large fines. That's for the boot drive. This would not be in the background because Windows would not be running in the foreground - yet.

On secondary drives, you are often prompt to unmount the drive, and if no critical files are opened, it might run in the background.

Reaction score
What should have happened is the next time you booted, the boot process would have been interrupted, and the checkdisk would then have run. And it would likely take quite a while to finish - often overnight on large fines. That's for the boot drive. This would not be in the background because Windows would not be running in the foreground - yet.
That is what I was trying to tell you, took 2hours and 30minutes like usual.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That is what I was trying to tell you, took 2hours and 30minutes like usual
Ah! I see. I thought you were expecting it to run in the background and when it did not, you were thinking it did not run. But yeah, 2 1/2 hours (depending on disk size and condition) sounds right. Sorry for any confusion (besides what's in my head! ;)).

Ask a Question